John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MCP, RHCE

I just got a message on line that my computer would be

Customer Question

I just got a message on line that my computer would be infected with a virus if I didn't call within 5 minutes. I called and talked to a guy who spoke English very poorly, so I hung up. The message said it was from Microsoft. Is this legitimate
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is***** will be assisting you today. Please give me a moment while I review your question.

Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

From the details you provided this is a scam message not a real threat.

This type of scamming works in 2 ways

1. Either gain access to your PC then collect the login details by installing key loggers etc.

2. Scam call is used to sell some applications and services .I know you are confused no worries I will explain. What the scammer is trying is to make you believe is that your PC have some kind of serious errors and security threats. Once they had convinced you he will ask you to open a specific program and so that he can access the PC. Once he have access to your PC he will run some applications that shows a lot of fake errors and security threats in your PC. Then will tell you pay for the application so that he can fix the issues. To be honest applications like these will do more harm than good and sometimes system ends up crashing.

Please do not provide access to your PC unless the tech is from a company you contacted also make sure that company you contacted is genuine by checking multiple reviews.

Do not give any kind of your personal or bank details to the person who contacted you.

Collect as much details from the person who contacted you like phone number to contact those, Name of the company and the person who contacted you, office address etc. Most likely they won’t provide much details. You can use these details to file a complaint in the local police station also you can report it to Microsoft using this link: -

I hope you are clear now if not please let me know.

if you do not have any further questions please rate positively using the options just below this reply box or above this page select the rating and click on submit that will do it. If you need any help in the future please use this link to ask for me