Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Technical Support Coach at Liberty Tax Service
93584285

Using Lenovo Ideapad Y510P, Windows 7, 64-bit. I have no

Customer Question

Using Lenovo Ideapad Y510P, Windows 7, 64-bit. I have no hard switch for wireless. After much time spent w Google, seems my only alternative is to hit Fn+F5, It doesn't work nor does F5 by itself.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your IdeaPad?
Customer: See original note.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I just installed Lenovo Energy Management, but this problem was occuring before this. My problem w wireless is recent. On my Home Network I have wifi. On other networks, I don't. Lenovo Support suggested I install Lenovo Energy Managment.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all I can think of. Thanks
Category: Computer
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What exactly is your issue that is primary?

You are not seeing your network on your lenovo pad?

Please describe in detail ?

And also, how recent?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My problem w wireless is recent. On my Home Network I can connect to wifi. On other networks, I can't. Lenovo Support suggested I install Lenovo Energy Management. Then, disable airplane mode. I have no hard switch on my laptop and so have to use Fn+F5. F5 does not work (either Fn+F5 or just F5). Fn+F9 does work INCORRECTLY, but none of the others do. How do I enable my function keys?

First, before the recent wifi, you could connect to other wifi, yes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1. - I have always been able to connect to my Home wifi.
2.- Until recently, I have been able to connect to wifi at work, son #1s home, son #2s home. Wifi is only a problem when I am away from home. I never use function keys and so can't give you a history re that.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Installing Lenovo Energy Management MAY have solved the problem of connecting to wifi. I say this because twice when the problem occurred, I turned my computer off and then on and I connected. Recently, that didn't work. I haven't been away from home since I installed LEM and so have not tested whether that fixes my issue. So, what I want to solve for now is being able to use my Function Keys. Is there a driver or switch or something?

Great. We can try a system restore for this as the easiest solution to start. If this isnt helpful, we will

go from there and look at your drivers etc.

Can you follow this link and get to system recovery? It should give you dates if you have restore points.

We want a date BEFORE the issue you started having with wifi.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht062552

Let me know if you can get that far and we will go from there. Once we get it resolved, we can check your functions

/keys and find the right ones.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't feel good about doing a system restore. Sorry.

If the machine is being difficult, you can follow these steps as well: due to being able to access your desktop

How to use Microsoft Windows System Restore.

1. You must be logged on to the system as an Administator.
  2. Click Start, select All Programs, select Accessories, select System Tools, then select System Restore.
  3. Make sure "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is selected.
  4. Click Next.
  5. In the "Select a Restore Point" window, the current date is selected on the calendar. Select this date or any other earlier date that is bold. It is usually advisable to select the nearest date and work backwards if needed.
  6. If multiple restore points are shown in the restore point list, select one to use.
  7. Click Next.
  8. In the "Confirm Restore Point Selection" window, click Next. Restoration will begin and the computer will restart when completed.
  9. The "System Restore Restoration Complete" page will appear after the system reboots.

Factory reset is what wipes your computer. This only takes it back to a previous date.

You can do a back up to ensure your information is kept if you are worried

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht071791

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I backup my computer overnight. It takes a long time.

We can undo the system restore with two clicks if you do not want to reset it back a week.

Restore doesnt touch your files, pictures etc. Only recent things introduced that may have caused

your issue. Any programs you downloaded and want in the last week, we can always add back.

Or i could go in remote support with you if you want that additional offer and i can go thru your computer

with you to narrow down your problem that way.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sounds like we are going to just dink around until I have use of the function keys. Since I never tried to use them until now, I may have always had something missing. Don't you know what is needed to enable function keys?

Not if something is preventing them from working the last week.

That is why restore was mentioned. You were pressing the right keys.

Look:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht072689

You could follow that guide, but the F5 was correct.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay. I read it. How do I determine whether Shortcut key is or is not enabled under System Configuration -> Startup ?I would like to check that first.

Use this page to download and install bios update.

restart the computer, go to device manager, find out what wireless card you have.

then reinstall the newest wireless driver from this page as well.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/IdeaPad-Y-Series-laptops/IdeaPad-Y510p-Notebook?query=&Shallow=1&Type=&OperatingSystems=&Component=&Symptom=&linkTrack=Homepage%253ABody_Search%2BProducts&beta=false

Choose your operating system (7 64 or 32)

then click all to view the bios updates and wireless driver update

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did that. Wireless driver updated. Hmmmm. I don't think I have been away from home since then.Note I checked for Shortcut Key in System Configuration > Start and it isn't there.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Don't know what you are referring to here: Choose your operating system (7 64 or 32)then click all to view the bios updates and wireless driver update

on that link, you have an option to chose your operating system by the computer on the top left

chose yours,

then under it click 'all'

it will show you your bios update for your system and your driver for wireless after you see which one

in device management that you currently have. You will update the ones you have.

but, when you go in device managment under your wireless adapters/network adapter ...if there are a lot there

some may need to be removed as well.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Am getting very confused. I think you are waiting for me. I did update all of my wireless drivers.

Did you update the bios?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't think I have updated bios.

The link i sent you if you expand all has your bios update for your version OS

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay. Sorry. I get it now. So will do bios update, my computer will restart. How do I get back to you?

All you have to do is update 'here' like you have been when done.

Please press the windows key on your keyboard, hold it down, and press R

( the windows key is two keys to the left of your space bar )

Onscreen should be a box that says Open / Run . In that box type in,

devmgmt.msc and then hit enter...

look for network adapter or anything with network in it.

expand it and screenshot it for me ? i want to see what drivers are in there

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Show what you showed me in your previous statement is what? An answer to my questin re how to get back to you or soemething else?

You can get back to me by replying just like you are now. This question we are working on will stay open

until you are ready to close it out. Your replies come to my email like mine does to yours. When you reply,

it 'gets back' to me in that manner.

But, i was hoping you could screen shot this for me as well?

Just because you have drivers in there, doesnt mean they are 'correct' or

something else isnt 'impersonating' a driver you need.

devmgmt.msc and then hit enter...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay. Will proceed w bios update. Attached are my Network Adapters.

Perfect. You have qualcomm.

that is the driver from the link i sent you that you should look for the newest update.

do not trust your computer to 'update' it for you and let the computer search it.

Update that driver from the page i sent you and reboot. (that is very important)

and check your wireless again.

If that doesnt work, we will have you on eithernet cord, delete the driver all together,

download driver again and reboot computer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi. Am in the middle of doing whatever that link you sent me wants to do. It is working now.

It looks like you just needed to update your driver/bios situation.

Did you need further help with this today or questions about it?

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.
~Franklin

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will test to see if I can get on a wireless network other than my home. And I will test to see if my function keys work. If that is all okay, I will be very satisfied and give you a 5-star. Thank you for your help.

If we fixed one issue and you are still having issues with the other 1 or 2.

Update and we will focus on that when you return.

~Franklin

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good bye.

Have a great day. I will be on for another 4 hours or so

and early tomorrow morning.

Good night.

~Franklin