Bruce Wilner
Bruce Wilner,
Experience:  principal at Network Security Labortories Inc.
94527327

My PC will start up but will not open any programs. I can

Customer Question

My PC will start up but will not open any programs. I can move the mouse but when I try to click on anything to open programs it is not doing anything. I have restarted several times. What can I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Shefin replied 4 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

May I know the make and model number of your computer?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is an ACER Inspire Z5771.There was an issue when I started it up today with a message about the BIOS. I was told by another technician to go into the Bios setting and set the priority to Hard Disk which I did. That helped me get into the PC to start it up but now I am in there, it doesn't open any programs.I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem or if it a new problem altogether?I have also attached an error that keeps coming up when I restart. Is this the problem? I have SnagIt on my PC.
Expert:  Shefin replied 4 months ago.

Remove all external devices, CDs, AC Adapter and battery from the computer. Keep the AC Adapter and battery unplugged.
Hold the power button down for 20-30 seconds. (Nothing will appear on the display and none of the lights will light up.)
Plug in the ac adapter ONLY. (Please note that a power indicator light should be lit on the ac adapter when it is plugged in).
Normally power on the notebook.
If the unit does not power on, remove the ac adapter and insert the battery into the system.
Plug the ac adapter back into the system, the battery charging indicator light will light up.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just to confirm that this is a PC, not laptop so there is no battery to remove. The PC is starting up but not doing anything once the desktop is on so what will this do?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think your instructions are for a laptop, and to confirm it is starting up
Expert:  Shefin replied 4 months ago.

I apologize for the mistake. Remove all external devices, CDs, all cables including power, keyboard and mouse from the CPU. Then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. After doing the same, reinsert power, monitor and keyboard cables, and turn on the computer.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I already did that before with the BIOS issue and got it to restart. So do you still want me to do the same as there is BIOS message now?
Expert:  Shefin replied 4 months ago.

What is the BIOS message you are getting? Are you able to operate the computer using keyboard?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi,I told you I am not getting the BIOS message now. I can operate the mouse and keyboard but when I click on anything it is not opening
Expert:  Shefin replied 4 months ago.

Please get into BIOS once again. Press F9/F5 to load defaults. Then, press F10 to save and exit from BIOS.

Instead of clicking, try using the TAB and Enter key on your keyboard.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've done that and tried to open Chrome and nothing is opening again, same as before.An error message has come up. 'The application was unable to open correctly'
Expert:  Shefin replied 4 months ago.

Please restart the computer and as soon as it restarts, repeatedly press the F8 key till you get Advanced Boot Options.

Select Safe mode from the list. let me know if you are able to open Safe mode properly. If yes, we can do a system restore.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can open safe mode.On the normal opening it has an error message that I attached for you before.If we do a system restore will that lose all the data or everything I have bookmarked etc?
Expert:  Shefin replied 4 months ago.

You will not loose any data. Select the recent date when the computer was working fine. You will loose bookmarks that you have done after the restore date.

Please get into Safe mode, click Start button, select All programs, Accessories, System Tools and select System restore.

Select restore the computer to an earlier date. Follow the on screen instructions.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
WHich safe mode, there are 3
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with networking
Safe Mode with Command prompt
Expert:  Shefin replied 4 months ago.

Safe mode (not command prompt or with networking,)

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It says No restore points have been created on your computer systems drive. To create a restore point open System Protection.it won't allow me to click next so I need to click to go into 'System protection'When I open that, which tab do I click?
Expert:  Shefin replied 4 months ago.

Since when are you experiencing this issue? Have you recently installed any updates?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No updates installed. The problem only is from today. So what do I click now?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It will not let me do any system restore in Safe Mode
Expert:  Shefin replied 4 months ago.

You have not enabled System restore on your computer. That is why you do not see any restore points.

Have you changed anything on your computer? Installed any software or anything?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No not installed anything
Expert:  Shefin replied 4 months ago.

Please turn off the computer, disconnect all the cables and wait for 10 minutes. Restart all and check if the issue persists.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you talking to the wrong person? This is not going to solve the issue as you told me to do a system restore and now you are telling me to just restart and it will be ok???
Expert:  Shefin replied 4 months ago.

Is right clicking working? Can you right click on Computer icon and select open?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No right click is not working
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It only works in safe mode
Expert:  Shefin replied 4 months ago.

Please get into Safe mode and try following the following.

Click Start, All programs, Accessories and select Run.

In Run dialog box, type in Regedit and press enter.

Press and hold Ctrl key and then press the F key (or press Ctrl and F keys together to get the find box) to get the Find box.

Type in MOUNTPOINTS2 and search for it. Delete it. Repeat the process unless all the "MOUNTPOINTS2" are deleted.

Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is this for the Bios issue or to fix not being able to click on anything? Will it do anything else?
Expert:  Shefin replied 4 months ago.

It is for resolving issues with not opening anything.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi, I did what you asked but it is still not opening anything. What do I need to do now please?
Expert:  Shefin replied 4 months ago.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I will open the questions for other experts.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 4 months ago.

Hello. I will be happy to try to diagnose and fix this for you.

First of all, the error that you attached has nothing to do with your mouse problem. The error is arising from the SnagIt! screen capture application. (I also run SnagIt!: I love it!).

Is the mouse working at all? When you move it around, do you see the sprite (the arrowhead) moving around the screen? That's our first question.

Also, can you please post the message that you got from the BIOS? If it has to do with corrupted or inaccessible memory locations--perhaps in a region where the mouse is memory-mapped--that could be part, or even all, of the problem. Of course, such things can be gotten around by choosing different sets of USB ports. But we're getting ahead of ourselves.