Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Qualified Computer Professional - 12+ years experience. Expert in Computer Hardware & Graphic Design
50064670

My PC shows the message 'Reboot and Select Boot devide or

Customer Question

My PC shows the message 'Reboot and Select Boot devide or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key'I tried restarting it and its the same message. What do I need to do? What is the problem?I have Windows 7.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Bhavik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will reply back ASAP.

Normally When our computer’s boots up its starts to scan every storage device connected to it and if it finds anything bootable connected to your computer beside your main hard disk then it possible it changes the boot sequence itself and you’ll be seeing this error on your screen.

So, just remove everything from your computer’s USB port. Mainly your external Hard Drive, Pen Drive or Bootable Disc etc and then try to restart it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. Should I switch off the power before removing everything from the ports or remove then power off and restart?

This problem happens when your computer is not able to find the hard disk or if BIOS settings has been changed to give priority to some other device to boot your Operating system.

Remove, then power off and restart.

Did this work ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it's coming on but very slowly so not quite restarted fully. Do you know if there is a problem?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the desktop icons are not coming up
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it came on then has restarted itself on its own

Okay. So the original issue is not resolved. The problem in in your Bios Boot Priority . You will have to change your Boot device priority to permanently fix it.

Please try to restart it again. Your PC should be able to open normally now. If it doesn't then try to open it in safe mode with network access.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what do you mean about changing your boot device priority. Please can you explain in plain terms as I am not technical!

You have to go to BIOS setting by pressing either Del or F2 button during startup and try to go to below image.

In this screen you need to give first priority to hard disk.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If this fixes the problem, what else will this do? Just checking it will not do anything else to the PC!

No nothing else is required.

It would be great if you could rate me. Hoping to get best !!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I select this option in the screen you showed me?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do I click the middle option 'Hard Drive' under CD-Rom Drive ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think I have done it. I have restarted and will see what happens. Is there a problem with the PC or has doing this configuration fixed everything? I just wondered if I need to think about getting a new PC?

No ,to go to this option you will have to go to your BIOS by pressing either Del or F2 button as soon as you restart your machine. You should be able to see which screen you need to press at the very bottom of your screen in a message saying press F2 (or some other key ) to enter into BIOS.

No no. Your PC is absolutely fine. It is just that some settings got changed some how. It should work they way it was working earlier.

I am glad that I could help you in it.

Can you provide rating to me ? I will still continue with your question and help you out in it if anything else in required.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is running very slowly and nothing is working
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The desktop comes on but it won't open anything

Actually we get paid only when customer rate us so your rating is very much required.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The problem is not solved so I cannot rate you until we have fixed the problem!

Slowness can be off multiple reason. I can look into your PC and see what is the actual culprit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No as I cannot even get into that PC to connect you up. I also have unlimited subscription so should not need to pay

It is very sad to hear that your problem is still not fixed. I think your problem was this error message " Reboot and Select Boot devide or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" which is now gone.

Your other problems are different are different actually.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it must be linked as it only happened after this Reboot issue

It is not dear Sir or Madam.

Not sure , If I should continue with this question. Please rate me if you can otherwise I will have to opt out. I have already spent quite a bit of my time on it.

I am logging off for now. Please leave your message or question here if you have any.

I will be back in 2-3 hrs from now.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I am Jins here to assist you. Please try the following. Restart your computer. Press and release the F8 key on your keyboard continuously when system restarts. You will get and Advanced Boot Menu. Select Safe mode from that menu and press Enter. Wait a little to complete the boot process.

Now press Windows Logo key and R key on your keyboard together. You will get open the Run command box. Type rstrui in the Run box and press Enter. You will get open System Restore window. Continue with restore and select a restore point from the list. Select a date before the issue to restore the system to that date. Your system will restart after the system restore. Check and let me know the result.

Regards

Jins

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I cannot do a system restore as there is no restore point created.

Okay, then while on Safe mode, click on Start button. Type cmd in the start menu search box. Right click on the cmd listed and select Run as administrator. On the black command window you get, type chkdsk /f/r and press Enter. Wait until hard disk scanning process finishing. Then type the command sfc /scannow and press Enter. Wait until the command finishing. Now restart the system, boot normally and check the result.

Regards

Jins