Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have a printer share on a 64 bit windows 7 PRO and I want

Customer Question

I have a printer share on a 64 bit windows 7 PRO and I want to share it with a Windows XP Pro 32 bit desktop. I can see the printer share from the XP machine but when I try and connect it says that the driver isn't compatible with the hardware architecture even thought when it asks for the correct driver I point it to x86 driver.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cody replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Expert:  Cody replied 2 months ago.

If you browse to the Windows 7 device and right click on printer --> properties --> is there a spot to install the 32 bit driver here?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Under the share tab there is a button for additional drivers. When I click that button there are three check boxes. The x64 is already checked and under the installed column is says yes. there is also an x86 which is unchecked and under installed is says no. When I check the x86 box and click ok is asks for a path where to find the x86 driver. When I point it the 32 bit driver is comes back and says "The specified location does not contain the driver OKI B6300 PCL for the requested processor architecture". The problem is that it does.

Expert:  Cody replied 2 months ago.

Sounds like you need to use a different driver, what type of printer is it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

It is an OKI b6300. I believe I have the right driver because if I connect the printer directly to the XP machine and use that driver it works fine.

Expert:  Cody replied 2 months ago.

on Windows 7 computer go to start menu --> search Print Management --> print servers --> drivers --> add 32 bit driver here

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

It is already there but when I go to the XP machine and try to install the shared printer it asks me for the driver path and then tells me that the driver is not the one for the processor architecture even though it is.

Expert:  Cody replied 2 months ago.

Instead of browsing directly to the Windows 7 computer try to add it on the XP by this method shown below.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/install-network-printer-windows-xp-using-add-printer-wizard

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I have already done this process and it says that windows did not find a suitable driver

Expert:  Cody replied 2 months ago.

Do you have PCL 5 or 6 driver?

Try the opposite of what you have now.

http://my.okidata.com/DSDownWeb.nsf/f52fb76914a6971d85256e9a004e336e/8992c848e292ef69852575360067e1a7?OpenDocument

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Same Thing

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Results were the same

Expert:  Cody replied 2 months ago.

Can we do a remote session to look into it further?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I am tied up for the rest of the day, but we can start again first thing tomorrow

Expert:  Cody replied 2 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Are you available?

Expert:  Cody replied 2 months ago.

I'll be free in a bout a hour

Expert:  Cody replied 2 months ago.

Are you on today to work on this?