Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a Lenovo IdeaCentre A520 SN:QS01116333 MO:

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Lenovo IdeaCentre A520 SN:QS01116333 MO: QS13042207. This unit has worked very well over the past couple of years, was shipped with Windows 8 and I loaded the free upgrade to Window 10 and again it has worked very well. Recently we had storms in the area and the power clicked off for a split second. Now the unit is not responding to any recovery methods. This happened once before, and the recovery fixed it. A screen message asked that I activate windows (it forgot it has windows) in talking with Microsoft support they asked me to find the licence code, however I could not find it anywhere on the unit. Long story short, I purchased a new Windows 10 licence and plugged it in, and it said it wasn't a valid code. I think the hard drive is damaged.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

The new windows 10 license you purchased, where did you p urchase it from? What version of windows 10 is it for?

Also, did it ship with a DVD disk or a download ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Bought it from Microsoft.com
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Windows 10 Home
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Ok, on the receipt, what version of windows 10 does it say its for.. Home, premium, etc?

Also, does it say whether its an upgrade or a full version?

And, did it include a disk or a download ? If you arent certain, we need to check your email receipt.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am checking my Microsoft account for more detail
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Allright, whether or not you can find the receipt, let me know!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Windows 10 Home - Complete version
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it was a download version
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Order number(###) ###-####
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Allright.. What we may need to do then, is utilize the download ( ISO file ) they sent you.

Properly burn that download to either a DVD or a USb using a special tool.. Then, boot the computer from that DVD so it can install the exact version of windows 10 you purchased. And then, your license key will work.

So the question is, do you have another computer available, and do you have a spare USB memory stick or DVD r or rw disks?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Microsoft Store
Windows 10 Home
$119.99
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am using my work laptop at this time.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How about My Passport 3TB has pleanty of space?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Allright. We need to download the file they linked you to in the receipt email.. It should be an ISO file.

Once downloaded, let me know if you have access to a usb memory stick, or a blank dvd r or rw disk so we can properly burn the image to the disk so its bootable.

( unfortunately, your hard drive wont work, as we need to format the drive and make it bootable)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, understood. Let me find a disk or USB drive
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have an empty USB drive and I am trying to drag the application to the drive. The PC is very lathargic and no responding at this moment.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

You cant drag the iso file directly to the drive..

We have to use a speccial tool to burn the ISO file to the drive.

This page, shows the steps and contains the link to download the USB creatioon tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

We have to download the iso first.. Save the file.

Then, u se this tool to write that iso file to the usb.. If you get stuck, let me know.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am stuck at the moment.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The USB I have is borderline has 3.78GB and asking for 4GB
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am downloading now to the drive
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Apologies for the delay..

If there isnt enough room on the USB drive, then it wont work.. Did you find a larger usb drive?

If so, then we need to use the USB creation tool I linked you to, in order to burn the ISO image to the USB and make it bootable.

( you cant just copy and paste, that wont work )

Dustin S

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not sure you are still around, I have downloaded the media to the USB with 64bit. Download says it is complete
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

To be clear.. we dont download the media creation tool onto the usb.

We

A.. Download the windows 10 ISo file to the computer( from your microsoft receipt )

B. Download the usb creation tool to your computer.

C. run the media creation tool, tell it to create a USB using the ISO file.

D. The USb creation tool will then properly burn the file to your usb drive, formatting it, and making it into a bootable windows installer.

Have we done those steps precisely?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
FYI, I have wasted too much time with this machine, I have purchased a replacement. All is well now.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Understood. In that case, the link below may be of interest to you.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0