Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

My iPad suddenly is on Activation Lock, and wants my Apple

Customer Question

My iPad suddenly is on Activation Lock, and wants my Apple ID and password ***** used to set it up. I was using it when this happened. Says its owner (which is, and always has been, me) has used Find My Iphone to link it to their Apple ID. I think I remember my Apple ID--if that's what you use to make purchases, but I have no idea what my password ***** If I have it somewhere it is stored in the iPad which I cannot access. Why is this happening, and what do I do?
JA: How old is your iPad, and what model are you using?
Customer: I think it's about three years old. iPad 2, I think.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No. It keeps begging me to, but I always tell it "later".
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. It looks like you have accidentally allowed your iPad to do the new software update, so now it is asking to re-activate your iPad. Please try the following fix:

- Click on the Apple website below:

https://iforgot.apple.com

, then there, enter the email address associated with your iPad, then click on Continue and follow the steps there in order to reset your Apple ID account password, and check.

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

If there is still any issue, please let me know the exact email address (or part of the email address) currently showing on your iPad's screen. And let me know if you also have a Windows or Mac computer.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,