GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software

I have a Gateway desktop computer upgraded to Windows 2016

Customer Question

Hi! I have a Gateway desktop computer upgraded to Windows 2016 earlier this year. Have been using Microsoft Edge browser. Recently my favorites disappeared and now Edge icon disappeared and when I try to find it in file search it comes up but won't start when I click it. Getting answer that it is installed but now icon, and now can't use any of 2016 programs when I click on them. Had the new Word but need to buy the business one and so no working word program at moment. Had saved certain websites for easy access on Edge browser then they began disappearing and I had to start over by entering my passwords, etc. for each site. Now browser disappeared altogether.
Wonder why my Microsoft programs won't work and why I now have no Edge browser.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Hi there Dara .My name is*****'m sorry that you are having this problem. I will do my best to help. Can you double-check the version of the operating system please? Just click this link and tell me what you see:

I'm guessing that you have Windows 10 as that is the latest version, and probably your Office version was 2016.

Malware or a virus can cause the kinds of issues that you are describing. I will provide detailed instructions for you to use to thoroughly scan and clean your computer.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

1) Download the free version of Ccleaner from Piriform
2) Download Malware Bytes from and install. Be sure to choose the free 14 day trial for now. I do think it is a wonderful tool for protecting us from malware and spyware that virus programs don't always catch but you can consider the purchase of it later.
3) Download Mcafee's Stinger (free) from this link.
Boot to safe mode by following these instructions:
If you can boot the PC to the login screen, you can hold down the SHIFT key while clicking on Restart to be taken to the troubleshooting option screen. Click on the Troubleshoot button. Next, select Advanced Options. Now choose the Windows Startup Settings option. Finally click on Restart. The computer will boot to the Startup Settings Screen, where you can select Enable Safe Mode with Networking
When you have successfully rebooted into safe mode:
1) Run MalwareBytes. It may be a lengthy process. Allow Malware Bytes to remove or clean anything that it finds.
2) Run Mcaffee’s Stinger. Again it has the potential to be a very lengthy process. Allow it to remove or clean or quarantine anything that is found. Please make a note of anything that it may find.
3) Run Ccleaner. Click on run cleaner in the bottom right corner of the window. Click on ok. If you are asked to close Google Chrome please do so. When that is complete please click on the Applications Tab and repeat the process. Next, click on Registry, and then on Scan for issues. When the scan has completed, please click Fix Selected Issues. Click yes, then click save, and when it completes (this one will be quick) click on close.
Finally, reboot your computer and hopefully everything will be clean and there will no viruses , spyware, or malware. If your scans did find things and the problems recur later, you will need to turn off system restore, reboot into safe mode and repeat all of this again, as some viruses, malware and spyware can hide in System Restore files. Then when you've thoroughly cleaned again, please reboot and then turn System Reboot Back on. I'll walk you through turning system restore on and off later if needed.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Please Note: The instructions that I have provided are for Windows 10, which i am guessing is the veriosn of Windows that you have. If after visiting, you find that this is not th ecorrect version, please let me know so I can provide revised instructions.

If you do indeed have Windows 10, please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.