Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I downloaded a gedcom from ancestry.com of my family tree. I

Customer Question

I downloaded a gedcom from ancestry.com of my family tree. I want to upload it to a program that I have on my tablet call family tree would call family tree. I attempted to upload it and the program tells me that I need a pin number. It goes on to say I can get the pin number from the person who gave me t he gedcom. Well that person is me I know of no number I asked for your number as far as I know there is no number. Did somebody out there tell me if ancestry.com assigned a number now I would get it? Or a family tree should be told that it does not need a number and upload my job got file. Or rather? Thank you I look forward to hearing from someone check job.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 4 months ago.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

So, the Family Tree program on your tablet is asking for a PIN number so you can upload the gedcom file.

Furthermore, the tablet is telling you the PIN number can be gotten from the same source as the gedcom file.

But your saying the gedcom file came from you.....and you know of no PIN number, associated to this gedcom file.

.

Is that about sum it up?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All that is correct however we need to know that the same thing position exist on my laptop my desktop and my iPhone for the problem has to be either with family tree software or the gredcom

That sentence was difficult to understand. What does "we need to know that the same thing position" mean? That is very confusing.

Please do your best to keep typos to a minimum, and try not to use run on sentences, and puntuation is also very important.

Computers are an EXACT science.....so its importnat to be exact.

.

Looking into Gedcom files, I dont see any mention of having to NEED or USE PIN number to IMPORt a Gedcom file, that was exported from Ancestry.com

.

Gedcom files are just plain text files.....that use particular coding structure that t he Family Tree program can understand.

.

There were many versions of Gedcom files, the standar being developped way back in 1995, and has basically stayed un-changed for the last 20 years.

.

Are you still in need of help?