Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

Satellite A505-6960 installed WIN 10 on 5/13/16 All worked

Customer Question

Satellite A505-6960 installed WIN 10 on 5/13/16
All worked fine up until I set Norton to run a system scan last night, and to shut down when finished. Woke up to blue box Enter Current Password: I have no clue & nothing works!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Lets look for a restore point? Easiest way to do this for now if you just did it last night.

Shut down the windows 10 computer, start it.. When it gets to the windows sign in screen, dont sign in.

Instead, left click the power button at the bottom right.

Then, hold down the shift key on your keyboard, and then click restart.

This should bring you to the blue screen menu.. Choose troubleshooting, advanced, and then choose system restore.

Once system restore loads, choose a restore point that was one day before this problem started and then carry out the system restore.

That should fix the issue, but if you get stuck or this doesnt work then please send a detailed reply and I will assist you further as needed.

Let me know what happens and if you can find a restore point BEFORE the day you ran the scan and AFTER you upgraded to 10 and we will go from there.

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Instead, left click the power button at the bottom right
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Never gets to windows

bottom right of your screen. turn the computer off. turn it back on.

then you should see in the bottom right a power button

it isnt supposed to get to windows. this is when you FIRST turn it on

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I get Toshiba screen then Enter Current Password

Yours is a little unique. Try this for me:

1) Hold down the power button for 10 (ten) seconds to switch off your machine.

Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.

2) Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook.

3) When the machine Starts beeping; release the 0 key.

stop there. tell me what you see?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Black background, blue box center with white letters 'Enter Current Password' underneath that is stars now

Make sure all cds/usb connections are out of the computer.

Then thry the 3 steps again. it may take a few tries. it is about 'timing'

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Made sure all CDs, usbs were not connected. Have done above 6 times

Give me just a moment. I am going to open this up to get you another opinion (running low on time, my deepest apologies)

but while you are waiting, please look to see if you have the install discs the computer came with around the house? It may come

in handy in a bit.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have discs. It is VISTA but don't care at this point. I couldn't get them to run for me either
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

I don't know if it was the norton or the win 10 or a combination of both. or just a coincidence

what you now have is a BIOS password.

that is set at a hardware level before windows or anything else starts.

Unfortunately toshiba put that option in when it was under a lot of fire for having no security that could not be easily broken. this one can not be broken

Although you can find stuff on the net about using loopback cables and pulling the battary out etc i have never seen any of them work on a recent toshiba. What you have to do is find an authorized toshiba repair place and pay them about 50 bucks to get rid of it.

You can find a service center near you on this page

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ugh!!! Thanks!
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

Sorry. Please don't shoot the messenger. I know it is really not what you wanted to hear.

But at least you know what you have to do and won't spend hours trying to fix it yourself.

Hopefully that is worth at least a good rating for me.

I am totally dependent on your rating to receive any credit at all from this website so i would really appreciate it if you would find it in your heart to give me a decent rating

thanks :)