Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

In my office, I have two computers and a KVM switch that

Customer Question

In my office, I have two computers and a KVM switch that connects them to share a keyboard/video/mouse setup. One computer runs Windows 7, the other Vista Ultimate. I had to reinstall Vista due to a crash and now if the machine has to restart during the night, in the morning the monitor says "input not supported" and I have to restart the computer with the KVM pointed to it for the monitor to recognize the computer. This just started with the reinstallation of Vista. I don't have this problem with the Windows 7 machine.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Are you using any additional video card on the Vista machine that you need to install a driver for?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No. The video card is built into the Intel motherboard. However, I could not tell what exactly it is so I installed a generic Intel driver.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

That may be causing the problem. If you go to the computer manufacturers web site, you should be able to find the video driver you need. Your computer may have come with a driver install disc as well?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If it came with a disc, that's long gone. Also, how do you find the make and model of the video device? We opened the box and can find a model on the motherboard, but that's no help. One person told me to go to the system program in the control panel, but that is the name of the installed driver, not the actual video device.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I ran DXDIAG, which told me I had:
Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME graphics
Intel chipset 82845G graphics controllerI went to control panel system video which reported two devices 82852/82855 one of which could not start and 82845G which could not start. I uninstalled the two nonstarting devices and restarted the computer. That generated a startup halt so I started Windows normally, which worked. However, there was a Windows diagnostic offering to search for solutions, which I accepted. That produced nothing. Right now device manager reports no problems with display adapters. There is only one adapter installed: the 82852/82855. No sign of the 82845G. Is that even needed?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hard to say. All that Windows would report is what it can find, and most likely without the proper driver it will continue to use the generic. There is a way to track the hardware and find the proper driver, but it would be much easier to do this when we can both work together. Let me know when you will be around and I will try to set aside the same time.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well I found the necessary drivers and installed them. Will see what happens.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Okay good. Let me know what happens please.