Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Technical Support Coach at Liberty Tax Service
93584285

My TOSHIBA satalite will not open, it is on TOSHIBA first

Customer Question

My TOSHIBA satalite will not open, it is on TOSHIBA first page , bottom left has F2 and F 8 but nothing happens
Category: Computer
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

In order to help you, I need to know what operating system you have on your device. Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8.1, 10, or do you have a Mac?

When you reply with this information, we will go from there to get your issue resolved.

~Franklin

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Windows 7. How can you connect to met device if I can one it??? IF you can do that the OK but not my iPad

I cannot connect. That message is automated as our system doesn't yet 'recognize' ipads, locked out computers, cell phones etc.

Please just ignore that and do not hit accept unless we agree on it together if it is needed later.

First, can you tell me about how long ago this happened and can you remember what happened with it just 'stopped'?

Any downloads, water damage, upgrades?

I am going to have you take the power cord and battery out of your computer. Hold down the power button

for a full minute while it is off. Connect the power cord, put in battery and try to start computer.

Tell me exactly what screen you see?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was on you tube about four days ago and a message came on four about 4-5 seconds that read, hard drive has detected a problem, I turned it off and now won' go on.
I've done as you asked and no change

Okay, this can be several things, we are going to try this before we try the harder one. We may need to just 'click' the

hard drive back into place.

For now, i need you to power off the computer all the way. When you hit the power button, immediately start tapping F8

until you see a menu option. When (if) we get that menu, stop there and dont touch anything. Just send back what you see

on the screen to me.

Please keep in mind, this is a 'timing' trick. You may have to try this several times.

Let me know if you can get to the menu screen or not and we will go from there. If you cant, please send the model of your toshiba.

(should be on back with a sticker somewhere or written under your battery).

~Franklin

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried that about a dozen times and no change . TOSHIBA SATELLITE C670

This is not a software problem. It is a hardware issue. I am sending you a link that will show you exactly how to

take out and replace your hard drive. (we may need this later as well for full replacement unfortunately)

But, for now, we are going to get to the hard drive 'only' to make sure it is firmly in place. We are not taking

it apart as shown in instructions. You will use this to open it up, and 'firmly secure' the hard drive. If it is loose,

it usually says cannot detect hard drive. But it could also just be 'jarred'. (we hope that is the case here).

Once you get to the hard drive, make sure the cords/attachments etc. are connected to the hard drive.

Put the hard drive back in, and tighten everything down/put back together. Try to restart laptop.

This is your guide below:

http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/CRU18037A0000R01.htm

Let me know what happens.

Sometimes this takes awhile. Do not worry about time. I will be with you.

~Franklin

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK send the link, I'm not sure when
I can get to it, how do I contact you later??

If you look in the last reply, link is there. I will put it here again.

All you have to do is reply to me like you are now. We understand these things take time.

If worse case scenario we cannot get into your hard drive and it is to damaged? I will make sure

i find you something to replace it with at a reasonable price. We do not do sales or make anything

off of things like that, so we always try to do what is best for you only on giving replacement option

advice.

Let me know when you are ready after you try to secure the hard drive already in place. And we will go

from there. (its actually common in laptops if it is just 'jarred' loose).

~Franklin

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK done. IT,s the same. Next step? Will a hard drive work from another computer ?

It depends on the model of computer and what hard drive it uses.

If that did not work we are left with 2 options.

Here is a replacement hard drive:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ISKS416/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=helincocom-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00ISKS416&linkId=c4f31f430e8d962d6f9b42baa0a444eb

This is the cheapest version of windows 7 to install when you get a new drive, its only 20 as opposed to hundreds:

http://www.play-asia.com/microsoft-windows-7-pro-3264-bit-oem-key-only/13/709gc7?ad=111828625688&gclid=CKuA6rXB-84CFYdcfgodpskCsA

If you want to try and 'slave the drive' from your damaged one, I am sending you a 'kit' to try and recover info from your old one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OORMVQ/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=helincocom-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B001OORMVQ&linkId=108d965ae63968713af61b2683043777

Other than that, you can try a local repair shop to get another opinion, double check etc. It isnt software related. It is hardware.

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.
~Franklin