Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

Keep getting a pop-up error message every time I am on my

Customer Question

Keep getting a pop-up error message every time I am on my Dell XPS laptop (running Windows 10). Can someone help me with it? The error message reads as follows:regsvr32.exe - Application ErrorThe instruction at 0x0000000077136BEF referenced memory at 0x0000000000000014. The memory could not be read.Click on OK to terminate the program.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be helping you with your computer question.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

after you click ok does the computer continue to operate normally ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Robert!Yes, it appears to function normally after I click on the OK button.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

ok the error seems to be a program attempting to register itself or part of itself but it is corrupted and can not do it. Unless you have noticed anything else not working it is quite possibly something you never use or don't want or even a piece of a virus that was stopped by anti virus.

If it just started recently you might be able to get rid of it by doing a system restore to a time before it started ( instructions below )

or you can see if you can find the program that it tossing it up.

to do that hold the windows logo key down and press R

in the run box type

hit enter

under the services tab

then you can uncheck any or all of the remaining boxes.

click apply

under the startup tab

either uncheck everything or click the blue link to the task manager startup

if the link then on each startup item

right click it and select disable

click ok on the original window and let the computer reboot

those services and startup programs will not run next time you turn the computer on. If it fixes the problem you can put them back till you find the one that caused the problem or just leave them off most will re start themselves when you use the program they come from

or if you want to do something a little bit easier try just running the system restore as below

System restore instructions - windows 7 8 10

hold the windows logo key and hit R
in the box that appears type

hit enter

select restore to an earlier date.

Under the "suggested restore" which is usually not old enough to help is a link for "OTHER RESTORE POINTS"
click that if the suggested ones are not BEFORE THE PROBLEM STARTED

choose a date from the calendar that is BEFORE you experienced the problem

hit ok / restore

the computer will start to shut down

a restoring settings box will appear with a status bar

when it finishes your computer will restart with the same settings it had on the date you restored to. your data will not be affected.

It is not perfect. But it fixes a lot of things.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

either of the solutions above should fix the problem

But if they seem complicated to you and you are willing to pay a little bit extra i can get you my phone number and log in remotely to fix it for you. But probably not till tomorrow. I have put up an offer to do so. But it is totally up to you if you take it. I would be at least starting out by doing exactly what i suggested in the last post.

I just ask that you please give me an excellent rating if it does work as that is the only way that i can receive any credit for my work from this website.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I suspect the program may be Carbonite. It stopped working about a week or so ago, and every time I attempt to uninstall it (using Control Panel > Programs & Features or Revo Uninstaller Pro), it fails. I tried to contact their support desk earlier this evening, but they were already closed.I'm a technical support engineer for Oracle, so your instructions are not too complicated for me. But should we wait on doing the system restore until I can get together with the Carbonite helpdesk tomorrow?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 month ago.

Either way. The system restore is reversible and it might fix the problem

But as you say it probably is carbonite so they should be able to sort it out for you.