Steve
Steve, Consultant
Experience:  Steve is a consultant in the areas of computer software and programming, information management and networking.
47680681

I am on an Acer Z3 105 All-In-One with AMD 6 processor with

Customer Question

I am on an Acer Z3 105 All-In-One with AMD 6 processor with Win 10 and Edge browser as default.
I am attempting to download and install Ubuntu Desktop and Server via an internet link as my default system rather than Win 10/Edge.
Following the "guide" I have reached "Start MAAS" - it commands "reboot CD".
I am not utilising a CD - do I click on that command to proceed to enter my details?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Steve replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is Steve.

1) Are you trying to create a dual-boot machine or are you planning on ditching Windows and going with Ubuntu?

2) If you're not using a disc, how did you start the Ubuntu installation?

If you tell me a little more about what you want the end result to be, I can help you get it installed properly.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am going to ditch windows.
Because of emailing you my part download has gone.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 months ago.

If you're going to ditch Windows, you need to put the Ubuntu installation program you download onto a CD and boot from the CD drive. Since you want to install both the Ubuntu server and desktop, you should install the server version and you can elect to install the desktop as well. Here's what you need to do. Before you ditch Windows 10:

1. Click here to download the installation file. The file you download will have an ".iso" extension.
  2. Put a blank CD in your CD drive.
  3. Locate the file in Windows.
  4. Click the file to highlight it
  5. Click on Manage under Disc Image Tools on the top of the File Explorer screen.
  6. Choose Burn.
  7. Select your CD drive and burn the image to CD.

Then, reboot your computer from the CD. When your computer starts up, look at the keys displayed at the bottom of the screen. For example, it might say Press F2 for setup and F12 for boot menu or something like that. You want to press the key associated with the boot menu. Then choose to boot from the CD drive.

PLEASE NOTE: EVERYTHING CURRENTLY ON THE COMPUTER WILL BE DESTROYED WHEN YOU INSTALL UBUNTU. THERE WON'T BE ANY WAY TO GET ANY OF THE EXISTING FILES BACK. So save whatever you need to before you start.

If I've answered your question and resolved your issue, can you please accept the answer and rate me accordingly? I don't get paid anything for helping you unless you accept the answer and rate me at least 3 stars. If not, please chat me back and I'll get you the information you need to resolve your issue. Thanks and have a great day!