ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a computer technician.

I have a virus in my laptop, I have received two phone calls

Customer Question

I have a virus in my laptop, I have received two phone calls that my computer will crash if I don't pay $500.0 immediately
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer!

First, let me ask you, do you think you have a virus because of the phone calls you received?

Expert:  ChrisC replied 1 month ago.

You seem to be aware from your computer at the moment so I'll just leave an answer for you.

I can assure you that the calls you received are not legitimate. This is a well-known scam that is going around, where people are receiving cold calls saying that their computer has a virus and that if they don't pay a certain amount of money, or purchase a support plan, that they're going to have a serious problem with their computer. It's a total scam. No one is monitoring your computer or knows if it has a virus.

I talk to people regularly who receive these calls and I can assure you that it's just an attempt to take advantage of you and get money from you. If you receive another call like this, I'd advise you to either not answer the phone or simply tell them that you're not interested. But under no circumstances should you let them connect to your computer or should you give them any payment information.

If you have any other questions on this just let me know and I'll help you out in any way that I can.

And before leaving this page, please use the rating box at the top of the screen to rate the answer at least 3 Stars/OK Service or better so that I receive credit for assisting you.