ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a computer technician.
56108293

Help with computer malware

Customer Question

help with computer malware
Category: Computer
Expert:  technicalcat replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.

Sorry to hear you are having malware problems. I will help you to resolve your problems now.

What sort of mailware problems are you having? For example, search or homepage hijacking.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have a message on my computer as follows
not your language? use https:/translate.google.com
then it gives me a key RSA4096 and basically asks for money to restore my data
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I went into documents and deleted their files but it did no good

Are you unable to access your data , such as documents, music , or pictures?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but I do not know if they can access it also
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I cannot get rid of the message
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
everything is acting as if it is new, iTunes is asking to be recreated, gmail is asking for new login

This is a ransomware cryptolocker type virus. Sorry to say it's basically the worst type of malware out there. What I would recommend is that you backup any data that you do not already have backed up right now. You'll then need to perform a complete system recovery. You don't want to take a chance with any manual removal with cryptolockers if you have important data on this computer right now that is not backed up elsewhere.

So, if you'd like to proceed, let me know when you have your data backed up, and I can provide further instructions to recover your computer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
r u there?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok I'm ready to recover

What is the make (brand) and model of your computer?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
falcon F-22 Falcon Computer ( Custom)

OK. there really isn't a recovery on a custom computer. Do you have your windows license key, installation DVD, and other software?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no

OK. I am actually out of ideas at this point, so I will opt your question out to other experts for review.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what do I do?
Expert:  ChrisC replied 3 months ago.

Hi David, my name is ***** ***** I can provide you with a bit more information here.

Frankly, you're in a tough spot. When your files have been encrypted like something with cryptolocker, there is no way to get those files back. The reason is because the encryption is highly sophisticated and specifically designed to be extremely difficult to break.

You said this is a custom computer. Did you put it together or did someone else do it for you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Falcon Computers
Expert:  ChrisC replied 3 months ago.

Okay, did you have any files on the computer that were particularly important to you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I already copied them to a flash drive
Expert:  ChrisC replied 3 months ago.

Oh, okay good.

And what version of Windows did this computer have on it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
7 home
Expert:  ChrisC replied 3 months ago.

Okay, and you weren't given any kind of recovery disc with the computer?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no I has not
Expert:  ChrisC replied 3 months ago.

Hmm, that's interesting because Falcon usually provides either a recovery DVD or USB flash drive. Can you tell me when you bought the computer?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
5 or 6 years ago
Expert:  ChrisC replied 3 months ago.

Okay, give me one minute to look something up for you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I looked it up 3 1/2 years ago
Expert:  ChrisC replied 3 months ago.

What do you mean?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I bought it 31/2 yrs ago
Expert:  ChrisC replied 3 months ago.

Oh, okay. Give me just a few minutes to check something for you.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 3 months ago.

Okay, since your system has been infected by Cryptolocker, the only option is to reinstall the operating system. This would wipe the hard drive clean and give you a fresh start.

As mentioned, all Falcon systems should come with either a DVD or USB flash drive as recovery media. Since it doesn't seem that your system came with this, what you'll want to do is contact Falcon at(###) ###-####and they should be able to ship you the proper recovery media for your model and you could then reinstall Windows and recovery your system.

Beyond that, your only option would be to purchase a new copy of Windows off the shelf and install it yourself. The downside to this is obviously that you have to purchase the full operating system.

I know this is a real bummer and I'm sorry this happened to you. The Cryptolocker virus is absolutely one of the worst out there.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know.

And before leaving this page, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 Stars/OK Service or better so that I receive credit for assisting you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
r u going to still charge me $47.00?
Expert:  ChrisC replied 3 months ago.

Sometimes the answers we have to provide are "bad news" answers. unfortunately. But I've worked here to provide you with accurate and effective information to get you up and running as soon as possible.

If you're unhappy with my service then I could direct you to the proper place to request a refund.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 3 months ago.

David, you still with me?

If you have no other questions, please rate the answer to close our session out for now. Otherwise, I can send your question over to customer service.