comp_audio, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ Years exp. CompTIA A+, Lenovo and Dell Certified.

Packard Legand 100cd asking for password but I never set one

Customer Question

Packard Bell Legand 100cd asking for password ***** I never set one up. Also the cmos battery recently died. Could the two be connected. Can I some how override the password
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  comp_audio replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you today. Please give me a minute to review your issue and get back to you. Thanks in advance.

Please tell me is the password ***** a black screen or is it asking for a windows password?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When up boot up the computer, it says push the f1 key for set up or esc key to boot. If either key is pushed, it asks for a password. It gives you three chances and then locks you out.

Okay, thanks for the info. That is the bios password. If the battery is bad it will do that. So, the next step is to buy and install the cmos battery. Have you done this already?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No , I don't know where the cmos battery is , but it does tell you that it is dead.

The battery is internal on the motherboard. If you are not comfortable opening up your computer, you may want to find a local shop to do this, as you will need to open the case, locate the battery, remove the old one carefully, and then install the new one. Then clear the cmos, set it up again properly and then put it all back together. Let me know your thoughts.

Good morning. Please tell me where we stand on your PB today?

Were you able to get your cmos battery replaced? Once you do I believe we can get past the password. Just checking in is all.