GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

Computer virus. cannot open windows safe mode - configures

Customer Question

computer virus. cannot open windows safe mode - configures updates then says unable and reverts updates in a continuous loop .
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cody replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hello
Expert:  Cody replied 3 months ago.

Can I remotely connect to your computer, so I can troubleshoot this issue with you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but the problem is I cannot even open windows
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
computer got a virus
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i was trying to log into computer in safe mode
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
but as soon as it is ready to open it tries to configure some updates but ht\\th en reverts in a continuous loop .
Expert:  Cody replied 3 months ago.

can you go to the start menu and search msconfig and open that?

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is*****'m sorry that you've had to wait for an answer. I understand that you can't open windows, so of course you can't get to the start menu. Let me try to help you get into safe mode. Can you tell me the brand and model of the computer that you are having trouble with? The procedure can vary from one computer to another. Also, do you know what version of Windows you have on the computer?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i dont belive i can get to start menu
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Can you tell me please what brand and model your computer is? Also, do you know if it had Windows 7, 8, or 10 on it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is hp desktop windows 7 home
Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Thank you. Please give me just a moment to provide detailed instructions for starting it in safe mode.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Use the following steps to start Windows 7 in Safe Mode when the computer is already off:

1. Turn on the computer.

2. Tap (Press and release) the F8 key repeatedly when the computer begins to boot. Continue unti you see the Windows Advanced Options Menu

3. From the Windows Advanced Options Menu, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode with networking, and press ENTER .

When the Windows desktop appears, Safe Mode is displayed in the four corners of the screen and the desktop might look different than it usually does.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Please give this a try and let me know if it works for you. After 3 boot failures, the computer will usually go in to safe mode automatically if you just restart rather than turn the computer off.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

Were you able to boot in to safe mode?

If so, my recommendation is to use system restore to restore the computer to a time before the problem occurred. It may be a problem with a corrupt Windows update file rather than a Virus. If that is the problem, a system restore should solve the problem. However, just in case you do have a virus, I have attached a pdf with detailed instruction for thoroughly scanning and cleaning your Windows 7 computer for Malware, Spyware, and Viruses.

If you still weren't able to boot into Safe mode please let me know as there are other methods that we can try.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 3 months ago.

If the information that I have provided has been helpful, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer and I am not compensated in any way without a positive rating of at least 3 stars. You can provide a rating by clicking on the stars and then clicking on submit. Please don't rate until you are satisfied. If you need more help, please let me know so I can continue to work with you or allow me to "opt-out" so that other experts can assist you. Your complete satisfaction is my goal! Thank you!