Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have an ASUS X553M laptop, while I was typing a report I

Customer Question

I have an ASUS X553M laptop, while I was typing a report I must have hit a key which changed my keyboard function and I can't seem to get quotation marks on my computer now. How to I get it back to the original keyboard operation? I have found some of the alternate keys for some of the operations, however I need to get this paper completed and the only way this can be achieved is Having a better understanding to how to operate my laptop. This information would also assist me should I ever need to purposely change the keyboard function. Please help me!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What program were you using for the report? Word version or other?

When you pull up a notepad or sticky note on your computer, does it allow you to use quotations there?

And also, when you use the quotations feature on your keyboard, do you get another symbol like an @ sign?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you very much I am going back to school after being out of school for twenty plus years to get a degree for when I can't work anymore in my profession. I would like to have a short cut or cheat sheet to teach me the keyboard use for this computer could you help with that request? I believe I was using Word or Power point. I don't have lots of money and even less time to complete this assignment. I have 2 girls and providing for them is my greatest responsibility, without use of my computer to complete these assignments I will not be able to succeed and at the same time be in further debt because of the loans I received to go back to school.

Try this for me first:

Search for keyboard in the web on your windows 10 computer. (the search bar at bottom)

Then, edit language, choose english united states, then options, then for keyboard, select US querty.

Let me know if you see those options there.

Here are some really good tips:

http://www.howtogeek.com/198122/32-new-keyboard-shortcuts-in-the-windows-10-technical-preview/

Let me know what happens and we will go from there.

~Franklin

Thought i would leave this for your Word as well. You will be using it a lot. College deadlines can be brutal

on your family time. This will help you navigate faster in assignments while in Word.

http://www.computerhope.com/shortcut/word.htm

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't have that icon at the bottom of the laptop. I just need to know how to use the keyboard there are green alternates and four and five different options it is just stuck on one of the alternates because I don't know how to use the new keyboards that have been developed! Is the a site that can assist me with the keyboard use for my laptop?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for the added sites for my word program. But none of this helps me at this moment.

This shows you how to use the keyboards and make changes on 10.

My apologies, i thought you wanted to 'go back' to normal settings for your keyboard when you hit

the wrong key?

Turn turn off sticky keys to get your parenthesis back:

To enable this shortcut, the Shift key must be pressed 5 times in short succession. This feature can also be turned on and off via the Accessibility icon in the Windows Control Panel.

To turn off once enabled, just simply press 3 or more of the Sticky Keys (Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Windows Button) at the same time.

This is how you change it back if you need to hurry and finish your paper.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37408/~/windows-10%3A-changing-keyboard-layout

This is for full keyboard layout:

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/full-layout-touch-keyboard-windows-10

Each keyboard will have different options, but i have sent you all the instructions to get back to your normal

US Querty type of keyboard use, How to set each one of the options, and i am not sure why you would use

all 5/6 if they take different commands? This will take you a very long time to learn each one. Most people use

one and make it 'their own'.

Please advise if you are wanting to use all of them?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What are sticky keys? Is there a way I can lock out the other functions and just use the keyboard as it was originally designed? When I did this there was no change, I went to press shift to get the quotation marks and I get this È which I have no idea what it stands for unless I am writing a report for my professor to read to people in Spanish! I am getting frustrated! Sorry I just need to get this completed and I really don't have the money to spend but it must work like it was before my fupar!

I believe i may have what you are looking for about the hard keyboard and how to use it for your computer here;

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/K75VJ/E_eManual_K75VJ_VER6944.pdf

This is asus versions. Start on page 38 of the actual document. (not the finder at top of pdf)

Yes, what i sent you is how you change it back to us querty with regular functions.

I sent you the lowest it will allow me to send you for remote support. I can fix this for you

in just a few minutes. Your time is running out and i respect that. But, due to not being used to the

computer, i fear this will take you to long and you wont reach your deadline. (no disrespect, new pcs are

difficult to navigate)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I just had my friend who is computer savy stop by to drop off his keys to me so I can watch his dog for the night and he fixed it and showed me how to avoid this again! I am so sorry to have bothered you! thank you for your time and effort! This has been an eye sore for a long time and now I am smarter due to his and your assistance! Have a great day and God bless!

Happy to hear it.

Good luck at school!

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0

~Franklin