Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

My Dell laptop has USB3 ports and my is USB 2. My computer

Customer Question

My Dell laptop has USB3 ports and my Tom tom is USB 2. My computer was updated, but will no longer recognise the USB2 tom tom so I can't update it.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Dell? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Good Question - it is a laptop with XPS on the bottom
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Updated all the Dell Drives, downloaded Dell Suppost and gone through that, Uninstalled the Tom Tom from Device Manager
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No just get the USB to recognise the Tom Tom
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is***** will be assisting you today. Please give me a moment while I review your question.

Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

USB 3 port have backward compatibility which means you can connect and use USB 2 devices so its not the USB port issue to troubleshoot more could you please answer the following questions.

Before updating your computer Tom tom used to work am i correct?

Which Tom tom device are you trying to connect to the PC? let me know the exact model of it

Which is the current operating system installed in the PC.Is it Windows Vista, Windows 7, windows 8, Windows 10 ?

Note: - Please reply using the box below.