Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry

I have a really old version of Quark - 7.31 (go ahead and

Customer Question

I have a really old version of Quark - 7.31 (go ahead and laugh). I was working on a project earlier in the week and the tool palette totally disappeared. I have tried everything to get it back and nothing is working. I have: uninstalled and re-installed Quark, I have gone to preferences and don't see anything checked. When I look at drop down that has tool window as an option it is checked but I don't see it whereas I can see all others palettes - measurement, colors, layout, etc. To make matters worse, I am on a PC with Vista as the operating system. I have done the process to see hidden folders and can't find anything there. I am able to limp along and have found some ways to perform some actions but not everything. I I can't create a box (neither picture or text), I can't draw rules and I can't import pictures. Any ideas are appreciated!
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: A lot! We have had this computer since about 2005. Plus I have worked in Quark for many years.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Uninstalling and reinstalling Quark, looked at preferences, tried to do a customized tool palette, gone through the process to view "hidden folders" in Quark since the Vista system hides them. Also, when I do see the tool checked it states show web tools, I have confirmed that the project is for print so I might see the web tools at first but they go away when I open a print project. I tested opening a new document and made it for the web, the web tools showed and stayed. Put when it is a print document I don't have anything to work with.
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I think I have given you all the information at this point.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you please do the following

1. Close all applications so that you can see the desktop.

2. Right-click on desktop and choose Personalize from the pop-up menu.

3. The Personalization window displays.

4. Choose Window Color; then choose Appearance.

5. Choose Windows Classic.

6. Click OK.

7. Close the Personalization window.

Steps to show hidden files:
1. Click Start > Computer.

2. The Computer window opens. Click the question mark icon in the top right corner of the window.

3. The Windows Help and Support window displays. Type 'hidden' in the Search field and begin the search.

4. A list of search options shows in the Help and Support window.

5. Choose Show Hidden Files.

6. Choose Click to Open Folder Options. The Folder Options window displays.

7. Choose the View tab.

8. Click Show Hidden Files and Folders.

9. Click OK. The Folder Options window closes.

Steps to locate the QuarkXPress Preferences files:
1. Click Start > Computer. The Computer window opens.

2. Go to C: drive > Users > your user name > AppData (hidden file that is now displayed) > Local > Quark > QuarkXPress 7 (or 8)

3. Delete this folder

4. Open Quark

Tell me how it now works please