Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

My computer tells me my printer is offline. However, it is

Customer Question

My computer tells me my printer is offline. However, it is turned on.
Since the last time I printed on it, my computer was hacked, later cleaned up, and new Microsoft Office software installed. I assume that somehow caused the problem. ??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

unplug the router power and let it sit for 2 mins power it back on and wait another 2 mins to let the router boot up.
Unplug the printer power and follow the same steps as you followed with the router.
The printer must be good to print, let me know if the problem persists.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't have a router, as far as I know. My computer had a wireless connection which apparently is now lost.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I still cannot print. The message says, "There is a problem communicating with the printer." Also, in the settings, it says the printer is offline.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello??? Is anybody there??
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, this pretty much fits with every experience I have with HP... the disappearing technician...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will now go cancel my payment through PayPal. Half an hour waiting, and no tech. Sheesh.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good night, Michelle. Thanks for "all the help."
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

A wireless printer or a wireless computer cannot communicate without a wireless router Please check and then follow the steps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your kind and courteous reply, despite my being so snappish. I frequently have to deal with unhappy customers where I work, and so I appreciate the professionalism in how you responded. The frustrating part for me was that your answer said to respond if what you suggested did not work, and when I responded... and responded... and responded... you weren't there! Very frustrating. (I must have abandonment issues...)In any case:1) You were, of course, correct that I had a router somewhere. (When my neighbor, who ran our local WiFi, moved out he helped me get a router and set it up -- behind something else on my desk, and so I soon forgot about it.) 2) Turning the router and printer on and off, however, still did not work. My computer still said the printer was offline. 3) But then the software did tell me I needed an app for the printer, maybe because I'm now on Windows 10, and this time I figured out how to download it -- an HP printer app that offers me remote control, for which I have no use. And since doing that earlier tonight my email seems to be very slow -- so I wonder if the HP app has hijacked my high-speed connection through my cable TV company. Is that possible? If you have an answer to that, I'd be glad to hear back from you and go ahead with the JustAnswer charge, which I am currently disputing.I won't be back online again till tomorrow late afternoon or evening.In any case, thank you for your courtesy and I hope you have a good evening.Randy Welch
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

Let me know what time you could be online i can remote connect and then i can check your internet speed and the printer driver software.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

Will take care of the printer issue when you are online.