Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE with over 12 years experience.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5558 laptop that bought second

Customer Question

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5558 laptop that bought second hand. I received it without touchscreen/backlit keyboard, but installed a backlit keyboard for it. The LEDs fade out and do not turn back on when I touch the touchpad even though the BIOS is set to do so. Why?
Done so far searched Dell site - found no topic on this particular problem. I could not find a driver for the touchpad or keyboard, so I installed a win7 driver for Versapad. No the backlights are always on. I have had backlit laptops at work that always react to the touchpad including Dell.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question. The correct drivers should always be used.

Go here:

Enter the Service Tag or Express Service Code number

and check for drivers that way.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Versapad drivers did not keep keyboard lit
My laptop is registered with Dell and has the Tag stored. They do not offer drivers for the keyboard or the touchpad
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I installed via appwiz.cpl during my wait...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Your response is indicative of my level III product support at work... I will try to contact Dell directly somehow. Thanks for your time. I have to go... will send some $ when I get back.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

OK. Let me know how it goes. The touchscreen was an option on that model. A search based on the service tag

wouldn't show drivers if the laptop never came with the hardware originally. But I'm sure they exist if only for the

customers who bought the touch model.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It turns out Dell did not design the touchpad to trigger the backlight on the keyboard.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 month ago.

That doesn't surprise me since that model wasn't originally configured for that.

You can put a Corvette emblem on a Corvair but it's still a Corvair.