Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Trying to run my NTI backup now EZ but I cant remember my

Customer Question

trying to run my NTI backup now EZ but I cant remember my password. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  technicalcat replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. To further assist, please give me more details about your problem.

Are you trying to RESTORE a password ***** backup, or are you just having trouble opening EZ backup?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is password ***** and I can't remember the password, even with the hint

Sorry, but I do not know of a way to bypass that password, and the backup file may be encrypted. It's not very likely you'll be able to retrieve the contents of that particular backup. Would you have the data anywhere else?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No. Haven't used this laptop in years. Just trying to reboot it because I think a file I'm seeking is on it.

If you think the file is on a laptop hard drive, then why not search for it there, instead of using a backup? Do you still have access to the laptop and drive that you believe the file is on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Laptop is fried. Was trying to use the backup to reboot it to search for file

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "fried", but unless you know the hard drive is completely crashed, which isn't usually the case, I could help you in a way to access data on that drive.

What exactly happened to the laptop?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Virus. Won't start up at all

Well good news. A virus doesn't usually does not wipe out your data. In fact the only ones that do nowadays are the "cryptolockers" and you'd know if you had one of those. So, if you give me the make and model of your laptop, I can send you some instructions on how you can remove that drive, and adapt it to another computer to hopefully retrieve your files.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sony VAIO, model PCG 9X3L

The laptop on that hard drive may not be easy to remove. However, there is another way you could get data off it. All you need is access to a computer with a CD/DVD burning drive, and some CDR media. Almost any modern desktop or laptop computer will have a CD/DVD burning drive, and the media can be purchased at many places if you don't already have some. Do you have a computer, drive, and CDR media (blank discs)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not at the moment but I could acquire those items.

I sent you an offer for remote assistance. While it shouldn't be difficult , there are several steps involved in the data recovery, and this offer includes me connecting to your working computer to make a boot CD, and further Q&A. I'm fairly confident we will get your data back, unless you have a message about a failed hard drive on the laptop, it should still be intact.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.

It looks like the previous Expert is not available any more. I can continue assisting you.

Let me know if you still need to access the hard disk drive data.

I am awaiting your reply.

Thanks,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,