Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Owner at Down Home Technical Solutions

Two computers, two different problems. The Dell one Inspiron

Customer Question

Hi two computers, two different problems. The Dell one Inspiron 15R special edition gives me a black screen with blinking cursor (happened 2 years ago, and I left it at that).But I "revived" it (unsuccessfully) when my HP crashed today.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your HP? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: HP is 15-ac038TU. Mate, I was born before the digital age. wHAT'S AN OPERATING SYSTEM?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Y
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
HP is still under warranty, but as it has all my work files on them -some of which I need by Monday - I would be happy to have it fixed this WE.
I have saved my files up to about 2-3 weeks ago, so it's not a MAJOR disaster, but still.
The Dell is old(er) but I would like to have it going again.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've got to go for a while. I hope your solution will be awaiting me by the time I come back. Enjoy the WE
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 2 months ago.

Howdy! My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you today.

As far as the Dell problem, t sounds like Windows is telling your computer to load up it's brain innards from a USB device. There is probably no USB device to boot from iso it is just stuck there thinking.

To fix this, shut the Dell down and follow these steps:

1. Power on the system.
2. While the blue Dell logo is visible, press the < F2 > key to enter the System Setup.
3. Press the < Num Lock > key, and verify that the Num Lock light is on.
4. Press the < Caps Lock > key, and verify that the Caps Lock light is on.
5. Press the < Scroll Lock > key, and verify that the Scroll Lock light is on. The lights on the keyboard should all be illuminated as in Figure 1.
6. Press the < Alt >+< F > keys at the same time. The system will beep as the setup defaults are restored.
7. Press the < Alt >+< B > keys at the same time to restart the system. The changes are automatically saved.

For all intents and purposes, this SHOULD fix that nasty little issue. Let me know if it doesn't.

Now, for your HP - what exactly is wrong with it? Will it turn on at all? Please let me know.

And if you this worked for the Dell, at least, if you don't mind rating my answer with a 3 star rating or more, i'd appreciate it. That's how we get credit for the question being answered.

Even so, I am here and will help you and will be around all weekend if I must!

Expert:  Jennifer French replied 1 month ago.

Were you able to get this to work? Let me know!