Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

I have two user accounts on my computer. One is the admin

Customer Question

I have two user accounts on my computer. One is the admin account and password ***** and the other is a Guest account, not password ***** I use the admin account and login several times a day but today unable to login though tried assortment of things. Apparently I need to reinstall the operating system but first I need to make sure my files are saved. All my files are on the C drive.
from the Guest user I can see all of the folders including those that Guest does not have access to. Folder size of C drive is shown as 74.4 gb. Looking at sizes of the individual folders, they add up to 62.1 gb. The folders that Guest does not have access to all show up as 0 bytes.
what I need to know is
1. Do the folders show up as 0 bytes because Guest does not have access to them?
2. If from Guest, I save all the contents from C drive onto removable media, will this include the files in the folders that Guest does not have access to? This is the critical question because all of the files that I really need to save are the ones that Guest does not have access to.
Category: Computer
Expert:  technicalcat replied 2 months ago.

Hello Lori, and thank you for using this service.

Sorry to you hear you are having trouble.

Unless you've encrypted or made folders/files "private" you should be able to access them with any admin account.

Do you think you had a virus attack or have you seen any signs of that or someone local hacking on your computer? If not, and this is just a case of password ***** then there is a way with a boot CD that we could try to reset the password ***** your admin user.