Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

In 2012 I purchased a Toshiba Portege Z835 ultrabook laptop

Customer Question

In 2012 I purchased a Toshiba Portege Z835 ultrabook laptop with windows 7. A few months ago my wife clicked on the Windows 10 update and ever since then it has been locking up and crashing. The computer freezes requiring a power off. Then when I power back on, it comes up with a message (that looks like an old DOS message) saying to type any key. After I power it off a second time, it successfully comes up under windows 10. Then in an hour or two, the whole freeze-power-DOS msg-power-boots business happens again.
I have already spent time with Toshiba technicians who replaced every Win 10 file. Please respond if this particular failure scenario is familiar to you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

This could be so many things. Most of all updates, drivers etc. I can try to guide you through all of them, or i can offer you remote

support to look and update myself.

Friendly reminder.

If you would like to have a more hands on support through Secure Remote Assistance, I will send you an offer and I will be able

to log in and perform the fix for you. We offer this as an easier solution for clients. It is 100% guaranteed

money back if we cannot resolve your issue.

If you would like to continue with written instructions, that is absolutely fine as well. Just click the reject when you see the

offer and we will continue immediately in this manner going forward.

Do not accept unless you want remote by me. If you want written directions, do not hit accept.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have already worked with other technicians who have taken remote control of my computer, but after much effort did not solve problem. My question: Have you ever experienced these same exact symptoms?

Yes. But, if you have had remote technicians in your computer and you are not comfortable with remote and

want to follow written support. That is fine. It is only optional. We work the same way with written or remote.

You get your money back if we cannot fix it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You say "yes". Then I guess you know how to fix this? Can you explain the process before I agree to remote control? Can you fix it without taking remote control?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

It seems the previous expert has opted out. Heres an idea of the process that is needed.

1. Systematically reinstall every driver available for your machine from toshiba for windows 10.

2. Run the Sfc and Dism repairs.

3. Install all windows 10 updates.

4. Check the event viewer system logs to identify any remaining errors that could be causing the crash.

This isnt an easy one click fix. It is fixable. But this is not something that can be easily done via written support without consuming a lot of my time, or yours.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for response. I believe I have been through all that you suggest. I am going to try another approach. If it does not work I will come back to just answer.