George Sibiya
George Sibiya, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  PhD in Computer Science
94470076

In my Network Connections there are 4 listed: Local Area,

Customer Question

In my Network Connections there are 4 listed: Local Area, VPN, Wireless Network and Mobile Broadband. It's a dell laptop. The mobile broadband is showing a Dell Wireless 5620 EVDO-HSPA. It is not connected and to my knowledge never has been connected. Instead, I use Wireless Network to connect. What is the Dell connection, what does it do, is it useful, should it be disabled? Please give me a meaningful answer, thank you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  George Sibiya replied 3 months ago.

What is the model of your Dell laptop?

Regards,

G

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
L502x

Ok thanks. Please give me about 10min to investigate.

Your laptop should have a SIM card slot which should be visible when you remove the battery. Now, the SIM card works with the Wireless 5620 EVDO-HSPA card built in in your laptop when you want to utilise broadband for your Internet connection. It is claimed on the Dell website that some broadband service providers may require a SIM card and some may not. Yours probably may have never worked because it requires a SIM card.

Details on the card are here: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=corp&sku=313-9362#Overview

As you never use it, I do not think there would be any harm in disabling it if possible

Regards,

G

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Got it, I understand what a SIM card is, my Apple iPhone has one. But why would a laptop need one? Was this supposed to come with my laptop? It seems useless if there isn't a sim card in there.

Its is useless indeed sometimes. It is for in case you do not want to carry your mobile wifi router around for example, you would take out the SIM card and slot it in the laptop instead.

Just like you I have never used it in my laptop as well.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your answer. Please use this message to credit for your answer. I hereby rate you 5 stars, but am unable to rate you per the following recurring error message."Sorry, your rating was not processed. Please refresh the page and try rating again. If the issue persists, contact Customer Care at 1-***-***-****." I contacted customer care and they are experiencing the same problem.

Thank you so so much. I do think the system has some technical problems today I did observe some myself. You may try again any time later.

Thank you so much once again.

Have a great weekend.