Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

Reference my HP 6600 all in one printer - my printer

Customer Question

Reference my HP 6600 all in one printer - my printer assistant has suddenly stopped working properly - only now shows printer not scanner. I have gone through your forums and they keep telling me to update the driver I have done this 3 times uninstalling between, turned off the computer and the printer and turned them on again and the problem remains. This seems to be a common problem that has not been solved on the forums or through your online support area.
Please assist - I know this is computer support but I am desperate for this to be fixed and have wasted a whole day so far trying to help myself with what little you have provided.
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.

Since the connection with the printer seems to be established, please check if you can scan using an alternative method. Follow these instructions:

1. Click on the Windows Start button located in the bottom left corner and then start typing Windows Fax and Scan into the search box

2. Click on the Windows Fax and Scan icon in the search results

3. When the Windows Fax and Scan window opens, click on File and then New > Scan...

4. See if it will successfully connect to the printer/scanner. If it does, a new window will appear where you can start the scanning process

Let me know if it worked.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Miro, that does not solve my issue which is the Print Assistant of the HP product is not working correctly ie showing the scanner so I can manage the scan to the computer and file the scan at the same time . it was working just fine until yesterday when the scanner dropped out and the desk icon only now shows the basic printer settings in a new format. Why??? I thought you were an HP tech support person who knows the product. I appreciate your work around - I could have done that myself but it is not efficient to what I had.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How about skype? what is your name pls?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You have not got back to me and it is now late at night here in Western Australia. I do not consider that my issue has been solved so would request a refund of my deposit. It would appear that it is necessary for me to speak with a HP technician who knows their products. thank you. Jo
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 months ago.

If my suggestion didn't work, or if you are not happy with it, you can attempt to restore the Print Assistant functionality using the Windows 7 System Restore feature - restore your computer to a previous point in time when all worked fine.

To do that, follow these steps:

1. Click the Windows Start button and type system restore into the search box and press Enter (or click Windows Start button and point to All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore)

2. You should see System Restore window. You will be given a choice to select either Recommended restore or Choose a different restore point

3. Since Recommended restore is usually one day old, select Choose a different restore point and press Next

4. You should see a list of restore points based on a date. You can also tick a box that says Show more restore points (if available)

5. Select a date when you know the Print Assistant worked fine

6. To confirm, click Next and then Finish

7. Your computer will restart and restore all system settings to the date you selected

Don't worry about your personal files because they won't be affected by this process – only Windows and program settings will.

I hope this helps! If not, let me know and I will check for further suggestions.