Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My Dell Inspiron 20 model 3043 (Windows 10, I think although

Customer Question

My Dell Inspiron 20 model 3043 (Windows 10, I think although it looks like Windows 10, will no longer open windows but rather goes to diagnostic/fix mode. I tried the fix/reset option that appeared. But since I had files I wanted, chose the method that would not remove the files. BUT that did not work. So I tried to enter save mode bu rebooting hitting the F8 key, no luck, tried F2 and F12, but no safe mode choices given there.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? What version of Windows are you running?
Customer: Dell Inspiron 20 model 3043 (Windows 10, I think although it looks like Windows 10)
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: see first message to you
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Computer
Expert:  Matt Johnson replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** will be helping you today

sorry to hear about your issue and I will try and help you resolve it as soon as possible, I am reviewing your issue right now, please give me a few moments

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok
Remotely connect is not possible

so when you click f8, it won't give you the option to boot into safe mode?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That is correct, I have tried this many times. In the lower right hand corner of the monitor it shows F2 and F12; both which do "work". But once there there is no safe mode chopice and the choices given. and the functions listed do not include reset without wiping out my files

Just to clarify, do you happen to have anything else plugged into your computer? wireless mouse, usb drive, etc?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
hard wired keyboard and wireless mouse
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is no keyboard mouse

does it ever go past the initial splash screen where you see F2 and F12 or does it just stay there?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
At F2 and F12 it will respond to the choices I select; but none are what I need

Have you checked the boot order in your bios? If you need instructions on how to do that I can provide it

If you do not know, here are the instructions

1. Restart the computer and press f2 while starting up. This enters the setup program.
  2. Select the Boot tab and change to Legacy Boot, Secure Boot Off. After restarting, this shows the boot sequence and the order can be changed using +/- keys.
  3. I then change the boot order to. CD/DVD. USB drive. Hard drive.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I may have seen that as a choice from F2 or F12, Please send instructions

if you do not see a hard drive in the boot options, let me know

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok, will do, am doing

sorry I forgot in my instructions to hit F10 to save your BIOS settings when done as the last step

Just for reference about boot priority, you can go go to http://www.boot-disk.com/boot_priority.htm

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
From F2, and choosing the BOOT menu, I getFast Boot
>UEFI BOOTSecure Boot
Boot List OptionSecure Boot Mode
Restore factory defaults
Delete all security Boot keysAdd Boot Option
Delete Boot Option
View Boot Option Properties
------------------------------------------------------

are there any options next to those such as [enabled] or [disabled]?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hitting the UEFI Boot choice gives 4 choices but none give a response

ok I see now UEFI is different than a traditional BIOS and I don't have much experience with it. I think you may have a corrupt Master boot record or a bad hard drive. However I cannot know for sure without seeing it and I can't get in front of your computer. One option to try is reseating your hard drive. You will need the tools to take the back panel off of your laptop, unhook your hard drive then just hook it back up. If that doesn't work, the only other option I can tell you from my side is to try a factory reset, but if the hard drive is bad, that will not work.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Checking
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Under FAST Boot: the UEF1 gives 4 choices which do nothing
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just read you suggestion of reseating hard drive, I will do that and get back to you
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I may try a few other BOOT options first and then get back to you'

As I said, I can do nothing more from my side, but I will open this issue back to other experts who may have more experience in this area, please stand by

Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Question, when you get to the bios menu.. If you choose secure boot, can you disable it? or does it not give you that option?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried to disable secure boot. and got a warning note, don't remember what it said but will go there again.
This will take a few minutes
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Not a problem. And I assume you are responding from a different computer or phone other then the Dell Inspiron.

Once you get to those menus if we cant disable secure boot, then lets stay in that menu and go over some of the options.

D.S

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK , there now, the Secure Boot can be disabled, but the warning I got stopped me as it was that it mayPrevent operating system from booting
and/or
require a reinstall ----- I do not want to lose my files at this point
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
As a last resort, I have an external drive that I think my HD will fit into.I have used similar to save files on other HDs that would not boot
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Lets disable secure boot. All secure boot does, is prevent us from accessing the F8 and troubleshooting menus.

So Disable it, save settings and exit, then let the computer restart.

Does that allow us to get to the blue screen troubleshooting options?

If so, go to advanced, then choose startup options.. The computer should then restart again. Then, ch oose safe mode with networking by pressing the corresponding number.

Can you get that far? And if so will it boot in safe mode?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK will disable secure boot, then let you know what happenned
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Thanks, I'll be standing by~

D.S

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It get to the blue screen troubleshooting options just as it did on several reboots before.
and yesterday. Yesterday I chose Reset this PC w/o removing Personal Files, and got an error message that that did not work
I will try that options again
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Same as yesterday: Before it got past the 1% the message was:
"There was a problem Resetting your PC..No changes were made
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Before you try another reset.

Maybe we should try a safe mode start?

, go to advanced, then choose startup options.. The computer should then restart again. Then, ch oose safe mode with networking by pressing the corresponding number.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
far no safe mode choices have appeared
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Did you go to troubleshooting, advanced, startup options and allow it to restart the computer?

You have to navigate through the blue screen options correctly, to restart and get to the safe mode screen.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have restarted to go get to Advanced OptionsAdvanced Options appear on the blue screen under the Automatically Repair heading.I have tried automatic Repair choice a few time yesterday and got an error message that it could not be repaired
An now going to the Advanced option now
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This gives 4 choices:Continue to Windows
Use a device: USB, network, Windows Recovery DVD
Troubleshoot: I tried that a few times, to not avail
Turn Off PC
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Never saw when navigating these options a choice of Safe Mode
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just found safe Mode
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
restarting now
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Excellent, let me know if it will start in safe with networking..

D.S

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Response was that a problem had occurred and it was restating again
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I choose safe mode with networking, It went right to the Automatic repair blue screen
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
been at that screen to no avail before
Going to try safe mode (w/o networking)
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

I think you mentioned previously that you have a hard drive enclosure you can use to connect your hard drive and back up your data?

That would probably be best if none of the safe mode options work.. Save your data, and then do a full reset on the machine, not just a reset.

Keep me posted,

Dustin S

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** follow that path and let you know what happens
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

If you get stuck along the way, or need any advice or guidance, let me know.

Keep in mind, after you do the reset, you will want to go back into the bios options and make sure UEFI boot is on, and secure boot is enabled again.

D.S