Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

My grandfather has set up about 20 different accounts and

Customer Question

My grandfather has set up about 20 different accounts and then can no longer log in because he doesnt remeber the passwords unless they are prefilled. we just got him a new phone with a new # so we can no longer use the phone to verify. I need help with these accounts to delete them or merge or whatever and get him set up with one account.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I would like to help - I appreciate that it sounds like a difficult situation.

The question I have to ask about the task is, what accounts are they? i.e. are they online accounts with online websites?

Or other accounts, such as Windows login accounts?

If the web browser program he used stores passwords, then auto-fill of those stored passwords may help access some of them.

And please note at this stage: you have to have the password, and access them, to close them. A 'merge' of online accounts with the same provider e.g. Hotmail, or Facebook, is something very dubious in my opinion, and many of them will have to be closed, I suspect. But it may depend on the specific website and its policies and capabilities. Certainly ability to login is needed, to prove ownership / proprietorship of the account.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is a hotmail account as well but there are like 15 gmail accounts once i get into one and can more than likely access most of them just need to get into one!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.

OK. First thing to get is, the names of those GMail accounts.

Second thing, to enter each name, see if they have stored passwords.

(To find the name of the account, if unknown, go to the GMail login screen, to the Username field. And try to press the down arrow, to see if Autofill shows you choices for the username field.)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They don't. Obviously, I already tried that...

Well, then: there's likely no trace of them (or all of the GMail accounts but one, most likely) on the computer, as far as I know, except:

- any emails you may have received, from one of those accounts (which would have the account name on it.)

- any notes made of the email's account names, and/or passwords. (Or if he remembers his 'typical password', if he has one. ?)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have the email addresses just not the names
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
are you still there
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no i am on my work computer but i do know some of the email addresses that he set up they are pretty much all the same with a couple of dots
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i am about to be off work and staying here to talk with you since you arent answering seems pointless

The email account name is (in some cases, Hotmail logins for instance) the email address.

But in all the others I can think of the account's name is

where the email address is

so the email account names can be had easily.

... I will post again in a moment.

Enter a GMail email account name, from the ones you have.

(or perhaps the full address, if that is demanded.)

Then enter any old password. Try to log in with it, that will fail.

Then use the

Forgot your password?

(or similarly titled) link, to go through the process of password ***** if possible.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ive done those things for every single account doesnt work
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i dont know dates when he set them up security answers do not work
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
now what? and i though you could get me into the account not walk me through the steps to get me in through google

I have no back door access to Google or GMail accounts.

With apologies, I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts, and giving you a chance at a second opinion from another Expert, free of additional charges. Thank you for following the process thus far.