Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Unable to update windows 7. stuck on "downloading updates"

Customer Question

unable to update windows 7. stuck on "downloading updates"
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Do you remember when the last time was that you were able to install updates?

if so, please try the following as it should fix the issue

Click start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore..

Click, restore my computer to an earlier pont, then click next..

We want to choose a restore point that was at least one day before the issues started..

Carry out the restore. the computer will restart, then let me know if that fixed the issue or not..

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dustin, there have been no updates for nearly a year, so it's not practical to restore the system as it was in September 2015.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Understood.

What we may need to do then is called an in place upgrade of windows 7, which wont erase your files.

Do you know if you have windows 7 home, Windows 7 professional, WIndows 7 basic, etc?

Also, is service pack 1 installed?

In the meantime, lets try to run the windows update troubleshooter which probably wont work, but its worth a shot

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/E/7/FE74974A-9029-41A0-9EB2-9CCE3FC20B99/WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab

Download that, open and run it and see if it can fix the issue with your updates.. if not, I need to know the version of windows 7 you have.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am running Win 7 Pro, but I don't have a backup CD or anything like that, so I don't know if I can upgrade or not. Also I don't know if SP1 is installed or not. The windows update troubleshooter is checking for updates online and has been doing so for the last five minutes.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

I can help you create a legal windows 7 pro sp1 reinstall cd, t hat we would use for an in place upgrade install ( keeping all your files and programs intact when done correctly)

but lets give the update troubleshooter some time to work.. Lets say, 15 minutes from now.

If it hasnt errored out or shown any updates to download, we can close it and proceed with the upgrade install .

If it does start downloading updates or finds them ( showing the problem is resolved ) let me know!

Dustin S

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok still checking for updates online. It hasn't errored out or shown any files to download.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
anything else I need to do before we start?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok you're ignoring me. please release this question back to other experts.