Barun
Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I have acer laptop can not connect to Internet, Windows 10,

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: I have acer laptop can not connect to Internet
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Acer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Windows 10
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Direct internet connection didn't work
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I can get wifi in my phone but only can't see any wifi connection on laptop
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Hi, and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you today.

Just to clarify, are you able to see ANY available WIFI networks on the laptop now? Do you get any error/message at all?

Please reply back to me below; thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I can't see any
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

PS: Please do NOT accept any remote assistance offer if it shows up on this page at any time; it's sent out automatically by our site, and not by me. We do not need to do a remote session for your issue; I'll reply back to you below now.

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

I see. Do you see a wireless/network icon at the bottom-right corner of your screen now, at the system tray?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Do you see a wireless/network icon at the bottom-right corner of your screen now, at the system tray?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They is wireless icon but only airplane mode shown
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK, is the "Airplane Mode" highlighted in Blue now?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Grey
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
For wifi it says no connection available
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK. Now, please RIGHT-CLICK on the Start button at the bottom-left corner, and then click "Device Manager".

In the Device Manager window, double-click on "Network Adapters" - do you see any WIFI device listed under it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Qualcomm atheros ar956x wireless network
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

I see. Please leave that window open; now, is this an Acer laptop or desktop? Please check the back/bottom - do you see a model number listed there?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Laptop
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK, check the back of the laptop - you should see a full model number listed. Please let me know that model; thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Model Z5WAH
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK, one moment please.

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK; now, press the FN and F3 keys together on your keyboard, once. Does this make any difference to your issue?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just opens app window
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK. Now, in the Device Manager, right-click on the Qualcomm Atheros WIFI device and select Uninstall. TICK the "Remove driver software" checkbox and then uninstall the device accordingly.

Done that, restart the computer and allow Windows to automatically reinstall the WIFI device. Done that, check the issue and let me know; I'll be here.

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Also, you provided me with a monitor model earlier, and not the laptop model. The laptop model should be listed as something like Acer Aspire V5-571, at the bottom of the laptop. Could you please check again and let me know?

Also, were you ever able to use WIFI on this laptop earlier?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Aspire E 15 yes I was able to connect to wifi before
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
E5 - 571 - 56WG
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No now I can't even see wifi icon
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

No issues, it will take some time to reinstall the WIFI driver automatically. Please wait for a couple of mins, and let me know.

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

We will carry out a system restore next. Could you let me know when did the WIFI first stop working?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Today
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK now, please right-click on the Start button and then click RUN.

In the RUN box, type in rstrui and press ENTER.

Does a System Restore window come up now?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We were able to connect to wifi for neighbours but for our wifi it stopped couple weeks ago but were able to get wifi on iPhone
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it appeared
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But it says system restore does not appear to be functioning correctly on this system
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Hmm, that means that we will not be able to use this function as it seems to have been turned off for your laptop somehow. One moment, please.

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

A VPN/security program installed on your laptop might be contributing to this issue as well. The easiest, safest way for us to resolve this issue is by carrying out a System Refresh - it will repair and replace your system files and settings, but will keep your user account and personal data, e.g. documents, pictures, etc. intact. However, any programs that you installed yourself will be removed, and you will need to reinstall them yourself. Would you be open to this option, or should we troubleshoot further with some other steps?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let's refresh it
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK. Now, right-click on Start and select RUN.

In the RUN box, type in systemreset and press ENTER.

Click "Keep my files" when prompted and follow the on-screen prompts; it will take some time to refresh the laptop - that should definitely resolve the WIFI/Ethernet issue as well.

Please keep me posted on the results; I'll be here for now. Thank you.

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Just to clarify, the system refresh should take no more than 15-20 minutes to complete. Do keep me posted.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
8% now
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK :)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Still at 8%
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

No issues; it will seem to stick at a couple of points and then move along much faster - the entire process should take no more than 20 minutes or so. I'll be here; thanks!

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Hmm, is it still going on with the refresh process now? Do let me know.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
44%
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK, looks like your laptop's processor might be a little slow, hence the delay. No issues, do keep me posted once it's done and then we can close this out or troubleshoot further as needed. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Installing Windows 30%
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK; it shouldn't take much longer now. After it's done, please log back into to your user account and check WIFI one more time. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok wifi icon is showing but I can not connect to the wifi I want it says no internet secure where else I can get connected to that wifi in my iPhone
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Hmm, I see; is that WIFI network set up through your home router? Also, is your iPhone to connected to that same network now?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
my phone connected to same network I can connect that wifi into any device but not laptop I don't know why
But othe then this network I can get any wifi to connect to this laptop
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

I see. Now, please disconnect the power cable from your router, wait for 30 seconds and then re-connect the power cable and wait for all of the router lights to come back on. Done that, try connecting to your network on the laptop again; what exactly does it say now?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No internet secured
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Hmm, did you power cycle the router now as directed in my previous reply?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did that before too
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK, since we just carried out a system refresh, there should absolutely be no issue on the laptop that's currently causing this - so it has do with the router itself. What's the make and model of your router, please (the one that this network is set up with)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
TL-WR841N
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
TP link
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK, just a moment.

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK; TP-Link routers have had a lot of issues with Windows 10, as reported by several other users - could you clarify if you were able to connect to this same network before today itself?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Before we had no issues just like suddenly is stopped connecting to laptop like couple of weeks ago
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can connect to other device with same network but not laptop
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK, we will need to access the router settings on your browser now. Are you currently replying to me from another laptop or from your iPhone?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
iPhone
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK. On the LAPTOP, open up your browser and type in the following link in the address field:

192.168.1.1

Does a router login page come up?

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Make sure you are connected to the TP-Link network on the computer (even with no Internet access), before opening up the link; keep me posted.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is no internet connection
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I connect to other wifi connection but I don't know if it's tp link or not
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Hmm, you don't need an Internet connection to access the router page; if you are not able to open it up from the laptop, please open up a new tab on the iPhone and type in 192.168.1.1 - if it prompts you to login, type in admin as the username and admin as the password. Please let me know if the router page comes up on the iPhone this way.

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

If you are not able to bring up the router page, let me know and we will carry out some other troubleshooting steps. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I open on iPhone where do I enterusername and password
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This page opens
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK, let's do something else first. On the laptop, please do this:

RIGHT-CLICK on the WIFI icon at the bottom-right, and then click "Network and Sharing Center".

Next, click "Network Adapters" on the left, and then right-click on Wi-FI adapter and select Properties.

Next, click "Configure", and then click "Advanced".

There, do you see a "802.11n Channel Width for 2.4GHz" option listed?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
802.11b preamble
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK. Now, tap on this link on your iPhone:

http://192.168.1.1./

Do you get prompted to log in?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's taking long to open
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK, tap on this link instead:

http://192.168.0.1/

Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not opening
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Are you sure this iPhone is connected to that TP-Link router's network now?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK, let's reset the router back to factory settings now. Before that, do you currently have cellular data for this iPhone (so we can continue conversing while you reset the router)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK. Now, I have included a screenshot for you as follows:

http://routers-reset.info/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/TL-WR841ND_8.0-reset1.jpg

Please press and HOLD down this Reset button for atleast 20 seconds, and then release the button.

Done that, let me know.

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Once all of the router lights have come back on the router, please check your WIFI connections on the laptop - do you see an (UNSECURED) TP-LINK network listed there?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They's no light on wifi
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
On laptop it says tp link secured
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

No issues, it will take some time to come on. Alternatively, do you have an Ethernet cable we can use to connect temporarily to the laptop now?

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

If you have an Ethernet cable, please connect it from the router to the laptop now, and check if you are able to access the Internet all right this way. If you can, let me know and I'll set up a remote session on the laptop thereafter, and set up WIFI properly as well. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it's connects with Ethernet cable
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK so you are able to access the Internet on the laptop now?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Through cable I guess but not wifi
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

No issues, we just need Internet access now so I can connect remotely to the laptop. One moment, please.

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK; please type in the following remote link on the laptop's browser now:

www.tinyurl.com/routerfixJA

On the page that opens up, click on "I Agree".

Follow the on-screen prompts to download and OPEN/RUN the "Elsinore Screen Connect" remote file, and we will be connected.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It doesn't open says match not found
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Hmm, it opens up all right at my end - what exactly did you type in, please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
www.tinyurl.com/routerfixJA
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Please download an alternate remote tool on the laptop now, using the following link:

www.teamviewer.com

Download the TeamViewer file, and then run and install it accordingly.

After it opens up, it will provide you with an ID and Password. Please keep that window open, and reply back to me with that ID and Password ***** and I'll remote in.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok it opened I opened in explore
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

You should know that the router is resetted once the SYS LED light starts to flash quickly instead of slowing as it does normally. Do keep me posted.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Microsoft edge opened asking for username and password ***** laptop
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK, one moment - let me provide you with another remote link to open up now.

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Please open up the following link in explorer now:

www.tinyurl.com/routerfixJA1

Download and open/run this new remote file - and we will be connected.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can't open this link
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Odd, did you try it in Internet Explorer? It opens up fine at my end now.

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Are you able to open up any other page like www.google.com?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
let me try again
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I can't
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK. Download an alternate remote tool on the laptop now, using the following link:

www.teamviewer.com

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Were you able to install TeamViewer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Still installing
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
6544
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

OK, connecting now - when prompted, click "Trustworthy" to allow the remote connection.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Hmm, it's showing me an error now. One moment.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Password ***** 5mvc17
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I m connected to different wifi to install team viewer can't get the tp link working through Ethernet
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Did you lose the Internet connection on your computer now?

Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Please leave me a reply on this page when you are available to continue tomorrow, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. You can get back to this page anytime later on, through your emails received from JustAnswer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I will thanks
Expert:  Barun replied 6 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** for now.