Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Ref: Dell desktop running Windows 10 backing up to a Seagate

Customer Question

Ref: Dell desktop running Windows 10 backing up to a Seagate external hard drive.
File History stopped working last April after working OK for several months.
In fooling around with it, it seems to work OK EXCEPT when I include the Documents folder from the Library.
It doesn't matter if there are no folders in Documents. Just including documents prevents backup from working.
I get the error message uploaded below.
We also have a Dell laptop, and File History works OK on it.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cody replied 4 months ago.

If you go to C:\Users

Is there just a carol folder?

What is the username you login with? carol_000 folder makes me think you may have a corrupt profile.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Cody,
Several months ago we had a HD problem which resulted in the original profile becoming corrupted.
We created a new profile (carol_000) as a consequence. I believe - but don't remember for sure - that File History worked OK for a while after this occurred. Other than the FG problem, the computer seems to run OK. - Steve
Expert:  Cody replied 4 months ago.

Instead of pointing to the libraries folder during the backup configuration, can you point it to C:\users\carol_000\My Documents (or whatever the correct path is)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I added the specific folder paths to Backup Options in the Backup portion of Update and Securities Settings.
However, it still fails to back up, and continues to return the 201 error code.
Perhaps a more useful question would be whether there is a more reliable, user-friendly application than File History for doing automatic backups.
Thanks, Steve
Expert:  Cody replied 4 months ago.

You can go through the Windows backup and schedule a backup everyday instead of doing file history.