Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Whe I restart my laptop, it attempts to update Windows. It

Customer Question

Whe I restart my laptop, it attempts to update Windows. It gets almost to the very end, then says trouble configuring updates, and it undoes everything. I looked for some solutions online and one of them had something to do with running it as administrator. I could not log in as admin, even though I am the only one who has ever used the computer. Any suggestions on how to update this?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. Can you give me the make and model of the computer, and the version of Windows you are currently running please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. I am at work so I will respond later this evening when I am at my computer.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Very good. Let me know when you can.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a Samsung NP 355v5c running Windows8.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Is your laptop trying to upgrade to Windows 10?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not sure. How can I tell?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

You should have gotten a notification indicating there was an upgrade available for Windows 10?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My computer tried to automatically update it, but it would fail at about 95% of completion then revert. This morning, I tried to get a download from a non-Microsoft website. It gave me an error code 0x80070057.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Okay. The deadline for the free upgrade was 7/29 so this LINK may not work. See if you can download this file and let me know please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, it didn't work.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Screen shot
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Screen shots
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Okay. This is going to be a little more complicated and may require I connect to your computer to assist you. Since you missed the deadline, it may also require you to purchase a new activation key, but we can try first without it. I would not be able to connect to your computer until later today and there is an additional charge as well. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I will contact you over the weekend when I have some time to do this. Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Okay. Let me know when you are ready.