comp_audio
comp_audio, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ Years exp. CompTIA A+, Lenovo and Dell Certified.
44312836

I am trying to delete duplicate songs in my Windows Media

Customer Question

I am trying to delete duplicate songs in my Windows Media Player automatically. Do you know how I can do this?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? What version of Windows are you running?
Customer: Windows 7 Optiplex 960
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have found a way to delete each song individually but would like it if the computer could search for duplicate songs and delete them automatically as doing it manually is taking forever.
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: Computer
Expert:  comp_audio replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to assist you today.

Have you heard of or tried any applications yet for removing duplicate audio files from your computer?

It also depends, are you talking about your song lists showing duplicates, or actual physical file duplicates on your computer?

What are the song file types? MP3, WMA etc?

If it is the library that is just listing the same files twice or more I found that if you open Windows Media Player (not Media Center). You'll need to display the Menu bar: In Library view, click the "Organize" button, choose "Layout", then "Show menu bar".

Now you can go to Tools - Advanced - Restore Media Library. Media Center and Media Player automatically repopulate the library. When it repopulates, it only have one entry for each song.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am not sure how this all works. I do not want to sign up for a monthly membership.

You should not have to. There should be an option for a one time thing.

Most of the time it is already standard for a one time answer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did not see that option. It would be great if you could remote in and then call me on my cell so we can talk as you are working on my computer. Is that possible?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you there?

It usually is, however for some reason it is not showing as an option for you at this time. It may be because of the options you chose when you signed up for this. What it is called is Premium Services. There is an additional fee for remote support however, and depends on the service being requested.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can we talk on the phone or do we have to type everything?

It is by message only right now, unless you go for a monthly subscription I am thinking. But do know you can cancel at any time too. There may even be a trial. But to fix your issue, before you go through the monthly trial or anything, try first the instructions here:

Open Windows Media Player (not Media Center). You'll need to display the Menu bar: In Library view, click the "Organize" button, choose "Layout", then "Show menu bar".

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will try this. Thanks. What about my card, did it get charged and if so, how much?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That did not work. There is still a duplicate listing for each song. I would like for you to remote in and see if you can fix the problem. From what I understand, my card will be charged $39.00 as a one time fee. Is that correct?

Usually there is a $5 deposit that gets charged right away. Then when you went through the prompts it should have shown you what the cost was. Often they differ for the difficulty of the question. As for remote control, I do not see "Premium Services" as an option for you at this time. I can see why and get back to you. But I want to be clear, the fee for remote service is in addition to the fee you agreed to for the initial question.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, nevermind. Just charge the $5.00 and I do not want a monthly subscription.

If you do not want to continue I can opt out and see if another expert can assist you? Again I do not know why the Offer Premium Services is not available for you at this time.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't think it makes a difference who helps me. I just want to know what I am going to be charged for today? Do you have that information?

I will go ahead and send this to our admin to submit for a refund since you did not get an answer to your question. So sorry for the confusion.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. I would appreciate that. So it is my understanding that I will not even be charged $5.00. Is that correct?

I have submitted this to have it refunded. Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. Have a blessed day.