ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a computer technician.
56108293

My computer, which is an Asus ROG G750 got water on it near

Customer Question

My computer, which is an Asus ROG G750 got water on it near the battery and when I took the battery out smoke appeared. I would like to know if I need a new battery or if the actual computer is broken for good. Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Computer
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Hi Ryan, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today!

You said, "I've also plugged in the charger and that didn't work as well." Can you tell me exactly what happened?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Water spilled near the battery of my computer and smoke came out of where the battery is. I took the battery out and put it back in but it still won't turn on. My computer is an ASUS ROG G750 and this problem came about 30 minutes ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Okay thanks, ***** ***** ask you, if you leave the battery out but plug in the AC adapter and try to power the computer up, does anything happen?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've tried that repeatedly and sadly it still won't turn on.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we also hear the sound "fizzzzz" from the battery
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Okay, thanks Ryan.

Can you tell me how long ago you purchased the machine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Around a year and a half ago. Maybe even 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
yeah
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Okay, I see.

Well I think you've answered the question, unfortunately. A laptop should power up even without a battery as long as it's getting power from the wall, so if it's still not turning on then that means something's gotten fried on the inside. Water and electronics do not mix and, considering that most components inside the case are integrated into the motherboard, I'm afraid that it sounds like your motherboard died. The smoke is certainly a tell-tell sign of that. I haven't seen too many computers smoke and live through it.

Considering the age of the machine, I'm guessing it's not still under warranty unless you purchased an extended warranty. In that case, normally I would recommend people just purchase a new computer, but that's a pretty high-end machine so it may be worth checking with a local shop to get an estimate for repair. But it's definitely going to need some repairs if it's going to live again.

I really wish I had a better answer for you but unfortunately that's the situation here. Let me know what other questions you have and I'll be happy to help as I can.

And before leaving this page please remember to use the rating box at the top of the screen to rate the answer at least 3 Stars/OK Service or better so that I receive credit for assisting you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They put my credit card on this website, how does the billing work.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

It's just a one-time charge for this question provided you didn't opt-in to the subscription program.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How much is it charging?
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

You should see something on your end that gives you the question value that you agreed to pay. It may be near the top of your screen.

Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Ryan, you still with me?

Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Okay Ryan, you seem to have stepped away from your computer. At your convenience please rate the answer at least 3 Stars/OK service or better so that I receive credit for assisting you and to close this session out for right now. If you have follow up questions on this issue, you can always return to the question at any time.