Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

My laptop has a monitor that dims and brightens if the

Customer Question

My laptop has a monitor that dims and brightens if the laptop is not feed cool blowing air to its bottom vents. What besides the fan having some sort of performance issue or too much dust in heat exhaust vents would cause the monitor dimming and turning on and off of the optical drive while everything else works properly? The laptop is a Toshiba A665-S1000X
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

When you say monitor, are you referring to an external monitor or the screen of the Laptop?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
P Laptop screen and internal dvd laptop player
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

ok, it all points to an overheating problem, either too much dust or the fan not running correctly, but we should rule out any system corruption that can cause this

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me how it runs please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there anything that can tell me how many rpm's the fan is doing
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

If your Chipset supports it you can use Speedfan which you can download here

http://www.almico.com/speedfan452.exe

Though I still encourage you to do the steps I gave you