ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a computer technician.
56108293

I have forgotten my username and password 7 Professional. As

Customer Question

I have forgotten my username and password ***** Windows 7 Professional. As a result, I am not able to access the Desktop and use the laptop. How do I setup a new username and password ***** the old ones.
Category: Computer
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Hi Ram, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm a little confused by your question. At this point are you able to get into the machine at all or are you completely stuck at the password *****?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have forgotten the Username and password ***** am unable to go further into the Desktop. I wanted to know whether I can substitute a new username and password. Right now, I am stuck at the username and password *****
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Okay, gotcha.

If you are unable to get past the login prompt at all, you only have a few options. Can you tell me the make/model of the computer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Compaq 6720s
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Okay, at this point do you have any data on the machine that you can't afford to lose?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can afford to lose all the data. The laptop can be re-formatted and re-partitioned.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Okay, do you know by chance if there is a recovery partition on the drive?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am unable to do any recovery process. By the way, I am using WIndows 7 Professional. If the data is lost, will Windows 7 also be removed?
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

If you were to format the drive then Windows 7 would be removed, yes. But if you were able to perform a recovery process, then no.

What have you done at this point to attempt a recovery?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I used F8 key and accessed Advanced Boot Options. 'Repair Your Computer' is an option which gives me a view of list of system recovery tools to repair startup problems, run diagnostics or restore my system. When clicking this option, it takes me to 'Windows Boot Manager'. It says, if Windows failed to start, it could be a recent hardware or software change that might be the cause. It is asking for windows installation disk to restart the computer.But my problem is not about WIndows starting. Windows is starting and is prompting me to input the username and password.Because I have forgotten the username and password, I need a solution to put a new username and password ***** substitute, to go into the Desktop for further navigation.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Okay, instead of F8 let's try F11. On older Compaqs that was usually the get to get to the recovery partition if one actually exists.

Please try that and let me know if you get anything. I will stand by.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I clicked F11, but it takes me directly to Starting Windows to CTRL+ALT+DEL Screen which when used takes me to the Windows username and password ***** There appears to be no Recovery Partition.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 4 months ago.

Okay, I see.

Well in that case, you really only have to options.

The first would be to try to bypass the password, which will most likely require the use of free third-party password ***** software. As I say, the software itself is free, but it will require that you create a bootable recovery disc. This isn't especially difficult, but it will require that you have access to a blank disc and CD/DVD burner.

I will point you toward the following article:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/f/forgot-password-windows-7.htm

This article essentially lists every known method for bypassing/resetting a password ***** Windows 7, with links to full instructions for each method. You can look at each method listed, but most likely the one you're going to want to focus on is the one titled, "Hack Your Windows 7 Account with a Password ***** Program."

If none of the methods listed in this article work for you, then your only remaining option would be to purchase an original Windows 7 installation disc from somewhere like eBay and reinstall the operating system from scratch.

One of the above options should do it for you. If you have any other questions on this, just let me know.

And before leaving this page, please use the rating box at the top of the screen to rate the answer at least 3 Stars/OK Service or better so that I receive credit for assisting you.