Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have a model LE1987 emachines monitor that has a "washed

Customer Question

I have a model LE1987 emachines monitor that has a "washed out" display. I did the same thing several years ago and an on-line support person walked me through a strange reset procedure that worked. Unfortunately I didn't record the steps.
I have verified that the cable and video card are okay by connecting another monitor.
I am using the DVI input.
Any ideas?
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i seem to recall that he mentioned somthing about a "charge build up" in the monitor...
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The "Auto" feature does not apply to DVI connections
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The procedure that he took me through was off-line as I recall
Expert:  BigDish101 replied 4 months ago.

Can you verify that your resolution in windows is set to 1440×900?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Correct. This was a problem that appeared while running. The screen got brighter and washed out. Brightness and contrast settings of the monitor were not changed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The person I spoke with when this occurred was aware of the issue and had an immediate response with a procedure that solved the issue.

Everything I am finding is saying press menu then auto. Personally I would look for a factory defaults / reset option.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All tried. "Auto" doesn't apply to DVI connection. The previous solution didn't make sense to me at the time but worked. I have a strong electronics background (Ham for 60 years, BSEE, commercial RT first class.......) and it surprised me - but was effective. It wasn't a surprise to the tech. emachines appears to be out of business now so I was hoping that someone else went through it and remembered. I seem to recall that the tech mentioned something about a static charge build up and that's what didn't make sense.

Degassing (removing static/magnettic) charge build up only applies to CRT tube displays.

I've personally had Acer and HP monitors quit. If you decide to get a new one soon I would go with something like NEC, Samsung, Dell.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't want to give up on this one yet, as I know that there is a solution. Have you finished your quest? I had already gone through the solutions that came up with the standard web searches.

I am unable to find any kind of special procedures, was it some kind of "service menu" ?

Would you like me to request a refund for you or open this up to other experts to see if any of them can help you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I understand the degausing issue applying to CRT's
It wasn't part of a menu - just just a short, step by step process that he walked me through. He mentioned something about the on board processor, as I recall. Another symptom - it appears that the mouse cursor responds in a jumpy fashion - as if the monitor isn't sampling the video at the normal rate.
Let's see if we/you can chase down an answer - it's got to be out there - as it happened before! Thanks for the effort.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi -
If we don't have any more ideas - how about we call it quits? Is that refund offer still on the table?