Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I have a brand new ASUS G20CB and I have no display. I tried

Customer Question

I have a brand new ASUS G20CB and I have no display. I tried connecting the DVI port on the computer to the HDMI connection on the television as well as the HDMI connection on the computer to HDMI connection on my television with no success either way. There is simply no display. ??? Thank you.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to know that you are facing problem with your computer. Do you have a normal vga port and a vga cable we need to check the normal display is coming up or not.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Michelle. I do not. Best Buy did not sell me a monitor or cable. They stated "Simply connect a DVI to HDMI or HDM to HDMI and you are all set. I even brought up a Sony monitor that has worked just fine with my Mac Pro so I know the monitor and cable are fine. I do have an Oculus Rift sitting in the box if I can get this stupid computer to display something! ;)
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No display on a Samsung 4K or Sony monitor DVI to HDMI or HDMI to HDMI....ughhhhh!
Expert:  Michelle replied 4 months ago.

can you tell me if the pc has an onboard display or it has a video card installed with hdmi and dvi ports.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It has two cards. One is just the DVI. The other is the HDMI and three "HDMI" looking inputs but I have no idea what rhey are. There is an additional HDMI port on the main board.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have tried DVI from the video card to the TV and monitor as well as the HDMI on the card to the TV and monitor. I also tried the HDMI on the main board to both with no success
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The TV and monitor both state No Signal...not No cable so they recognize a connection...
Expert:  Michelle replied 4 months ago.

Dont worry you can remove both the video cards using a Philips screw driver and then connect the HDMI only which is on the motherboard and then check the display whether we get or not then we can move further.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you still with me? :)
Expert:  Michelle replied 4 months ago.

yes i am did you get my last message?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry. You want me to remove the cards...
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not even know how to pop this case
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am a Mac guy and I already regret buying a Windows machine...there is no manual with this computer so I am trying to figure out how to pop it
Expert:  Michelle replied 4 months ago.

give me few mins let me check the manual if its available.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I am computer savvy but this box has me confounded...we will be able to move quickly once I get the box open. Thanks for your patience
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just read the sticker. It voids the warranty and return ability. No can do. I think I have a bad card. Not going to pop a brand new box that can't bring up a simple display. If you have a suggestion or a start up key trick I am all about it; otherwise, I will bring the PC back to the store tomorrow. Don't want to waste your time.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Would you agree if it isn't displaying from the cards or the onboard there is something amiss. I've never ever bought a computer that wouldn't display from the first boot up. Just confirming your thoughts...
Expert:  Michelle replied 4 months ago.

Its not a bad card with a brand new system. Most of the times its the loose seated card on the motherboard and if you remove and reseat it and it will be fine however if you see it has a warranty sticker then you must never attempt to open it as it will void the warranty.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Alright...let's just do it. How do we pop this case open?
Expert:  Michelle replied 4 months ago.

Due to transportation or transit this is a very common issue with desktop computer.

Take it back or call Asus replacement number and get it replaced. Do not open the cover it will cancel your warranty and you will not get a replacement in case the motherboard or the video card is bad.

Expert:  Michelle replied 4 months ago.

Where did you buy the computer from?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Alright...thanks for your time. How do we close out here? I bought it at Best Buy...
Expert:  Michelle replied 4 months ago.

just take the cpu box including the packaging and get it replaced from the shop you got it from.

Expert:  Michelle replied 4 months ago.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the stars on top of this page and hit submit. Feel free to ask or reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question further. Thank you.

Expert:  Michelle replied 4 months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jazM6KgjaPk

Video for your reference but do not open it as it will void warranty.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The issue was that the mouse and keyboard were in the 3.1 and not 3.0 USB ports. Do you want to close this out for $20 and I'll give you 5 stars? I did appreciate the effort...
Expert:  Michelle replied 4 months ago.

To close the session you need to scroll right up on the top and click on one of the starts and hit submit. Thanks for your time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How do we negotiate your fee? I'd like to pay you something for the effort...
Expert:  Michelle replied 4 months ago.

in that case do not rate the answer i will send your request to customer care that you want to pay $20 and not the full amount. They will take care of the payment.

Expert:  Michelle replied 4 months ago.

you can also customer care and get the payment done.

Call our Toll-Free Customer Service

US/Canada : 1.***-***-****
Available 6am to 6pm PST

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is this fair to you? I'm not sure what your "full amount" usually is but I did solve the issue myself. Trying to be fair both ways...
Expert:  Michelle replied 4 months ago.

Full amount was $44 its absolutely fine what every you want to pay for my time and effort.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Agreed then. Have a good evening. Cheers! :)
Expert:  Michelle replied 4 months ago.

Thanks and have a good evening.