Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.

My cat walked on my keyboard leaving my screen essentially

Customer Question

My cat walked on my keyboard leaving my screen essentially black - I hit the "one key recovery button" and now my screen is bright but 3 years of my stuff seems to be gone - even Windows 10 - help !
Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris L. replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear what happened. The one key recovery button restores the computer back to how it was when it was brand new so unfortunately unless you have backups you may be out of luck here I am sorry to say.

If you do not have back ups the only thing I can suggest you try is using a recovery program to try and recover your old data that has been removed. I am going to give you a free software which will scan the drive and try and recover what files it can. Go to the following link and download the free version:

Once installed run a deep scan, this can take quite a bit of time. When finished it will show which files are recoverable.

You need to understand that by going the one key recovery you essentially wrote over your current hard drive with an image the hard drive from when the computer was new.

Hopefully using the recuva software you will be able to get some of your files back. It is important that you do this as soon as possible and do not install more programs or write to the hard drive or else you run the risk of overwriting the deleted files even further and making them unrecoverable.

I hope it works out for you. Again sorry to hear what happened. Please take a moment to click the stars above, 3 or more to acknowledge you received an answer from me. You may reply at any time if you wish to discuss further.