Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

I have a windows 7 premium on my computer and i want to

Customer Question

i have a windows 7 premium on my computer and i want to install silver light to get some online documents but it says my system may not be compatible can you help and explain what silverlight is?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

Hey Jeanne, I'm Tim. Silverlight is a plug in, kind of like flash or java.

Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

Its usually used to play videos.......its being phased out with java and flash since HTNMl5 is out, and most sites or what ever are just using htnl5.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what is htnl5
Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

good question. im sure you have heard of html, its what web sights are written in, and have been for a long time, however normal HTML can't do smart stuff, like play a video, or a song - they need plugins, like Java, flash, silverlight.......HTML5 has been out a while, and its inbeded in the new browsers, so no plug ins are needed for content.....thats the idea anyway, at somepoint everyone has coded in HTML5. and then all these plug ins can go away.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
you havent answered the question can iget silverlight or is there another way to access the online files i want
Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

you JUST asked me what html5 IS.

Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

Just download it and install it, it should run no problem unless your on a tablet or something.

Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

if you like i can remote in and install it for you.

Expert:  Tim replied 3 months ago.

what do you mean by online files? if its asking for silverlight, thats the plug in it needs.