Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

Several months ago I downloaded Picasa. As I recall, it

Customer Question

Several months ago I downloaded Picasa. As I recall, it asked something like would I like Picasa to put all photo albums in Picas file. Trusted program Did not realize it would also erase old files. Have no idea of exact number but would estimate about 30% of pics disappeared including all videos. Attempts at retrieval failed. Gave up.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Continue narrative. All old files in which photos were stored say "this file is empty" . Occasionally the response will be " This file is unavailable. It may be on hard drive but windows is unable to access it" or something similar. Have not down loaded any photos to computer or picasa since.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? What version of Windows are you running?
Customer: Lenovo G570. model 4334. Windows 7. upgrades up to date
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: essentially nothing
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Have you searched your entire hard drive for the photo files?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
To the best of my ability. All old files either empty or unavailable.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Okay. First make sure you start at the root level of the hard drive. That would look something like C: Local Disk in Windows Explorer. In the search field of Windows Explorer type in *.jpg and see what all it finds. If you don't get the desired results, try *.jpeg next. Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Got a zillion pics. Tried to pull up several to see if they were any of the ones that were missing. Impossible task in time limitation. Suspect that some missing pics are here. I need to postpone this conversation. Just don't have time at present. Is this possible.?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

No problem. You can get back to me when time permits.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks. May just turn it over to you.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Let me know how you would like to proceed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have reviewed jpg files. Tremendous amt of duplication, stock photos, icons, etc. But some pics that was looking for were not there. The ones that seem to be missing are down loads sent via email or text from others. Also several videos are gone. They are prob stored under diff formats. Also pics downloaded from my cell.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

You are correct. Your photos may also have a jpeg extension as well. Videos could have an extension of mp3. All of this depends on how you were shooting at the time. Check your camera since you will most likely have it set now as you did for all of your photos. If you give me the make and model of the camera, I may be able to help you figure out what to search for.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Camera was Fuji finepix.
XP100. Picasso emptied my finepix
Photo album. Nothing there.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Okay, I will do some checking and let you know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I found one set of lost pics on hard drive. Saved search but
can't get selected pics to their own folder. Selected all under "organize" but keeps sending to saved searches not to folder. Think I need to get them to folder to send to my pics.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Okay the photos, if you haven't already figured it out, will have a .jpeg extension. The video files will have a .mov extension. These are the files you will need to search for.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What exactly do I type into search. box. Tried. .movext and variations.
Same with. .jpeg. No matches.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

In the search field you want to do what is called a wild card search. Type *.jpeg. That will search for every file with that extension, and it is best to start right at the root of the C drive.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Two video folders were labeled whale sharks and hang gliding. Searched for these to no avail.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

That is why you want to search the root of the hard drive. The files could be anywhere?