Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I'm trying to enter the system password computer and I can't

Customer Question

I'm trying to enter the system password ***** the computer and I can't type it in because the keys aren't typing anything
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: DELL Optiplex 745
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I hadn't tried anything to be honest
JA: The computer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I was trying to the administrator password ***** first, but it was disabled... I had tried using other user through my Microsoft emails, but it wouldn't let me through, even with the password ***** I put in
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Computer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you. Could you please answer the following question

When you try to enter the password ***** the password ***** does it show dots in the password *****?

Which is the operating system installed in the PC.Is it Windows Vista, Windows 7, windows 8, Windows 10 or any other?

Are you using wired or wireless keyboard ?

Sincerely,

Note: - Please reply using the box below.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello John! I have tried to put in my password ***** nothing has come up, Windows 10 is the operating system installed in the PC and I am using a wired keyboard
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the details.Have you tried unplugging the mouse and connecting it to another USB port?

Does the mouse works?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No...even when I unplugged it nothing has happened
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Is that no for keyboard re-plugging or mouse also not working ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Both. I have tried both and nothing is working
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

OK got it.

Please restart the PC and when it shows the Dell start-up screen immediately press F12 key repeatedly and see if that shows boot device list menu.

Let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried it...still nothing. How do I restart the PC? I might have done something wrong.
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Press and hold the power button for 3 to 5 seconds that will power off the PC then wait for 20 seconds and turn it on again immediately press F12 key repeatedly and see if that shows boot device list menu.If not Turn off again then press Del key this time and see if that opens bios set-up screen.Let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nope
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Both mouse and keyboard are connected to USB port am i correct.

Do you have spare USB mouse or keyboard?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They work, but I do not have a spare mouse or keyboard
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

I am confused what do you mean by "They work"?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry. I meant both the mouse and keyboard are connected to the USB
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

OK i got it.

What is the make and model of the keyboard and mouse and did it came with this PC?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Both the mouse and keyboard are from Dell, the model for the keyboard is L100, but I don't know what the model is for the mouse... How do I find that out?
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the keyboard model,no need to look for model of the mouse.

How many USB devices are currently plugged in to the PC also does this desktop have USB port on the front?

How old is the PC?

Does this PC have touch screen function?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just two are hooked to a USB
No there is no USB port in the front
I don't know how old the PC is
And no the PC does not have a touch screen function
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Turn off the PC completely then unplug the power cable then disconnect both mouse and keyboard USB cables.Then wait for 30 second then plug in the power cable to the PC and turn it on and see if its showing any warning message.Do not connect the mouse or keyboard.Let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so it shows the warning message
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Is it a warning regarding Keyboard,if so connect the keyboard and press F1 key to continue,see if it boots to windows login and then try to type the password.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I put the keyboard in but nothing has changed... It still says "Keyboard failure"
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

OK power off the PC again and plugin the mouse too then turn it on again after 20 seconds and see if its showing the keyboard failure message ,if not let me boot to windows login then try to use the mouse and keyboard.

Let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It did not show the keyboard failure message
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

OK let it boot to windows login screen then see if the mouse and keyboard are working or not?

Let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nothing. The keyboard can't type and I don't see the arrow
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

This seems like a USB port issue but cannot confirm without trying another USB mouse or keyboard.

Do you have thumb drive that had light indicator on it? In that way we can plug it in and see if turn on the light on the drive to see if the USB port is sending power to the drive.

when did you upgrade to windows 10 and did this mouse and keyboard worked after its upgraded to windows 10?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a thumb drive that lights up
And when we upgraded to Windows 10 was last year and the mouse and keyboard were just fine
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

OK so this is not a incompatibility issue.

Have you tried plugging the thumb drive in this problematic PC's USB port,if so does the light on the thumb drive blinks or shows steadily ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It did not light up
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

It seems like USB port but to make sure can you try to get a working USB mouse from a friend or a neighbor and connect to the PC and check it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could not find a spare mouse
Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Without that or a keyboard we cannot confirm whether its a USB port issue.Could you please try to get one or both and try it then let me know tomorrow.

Please bookmark this page, use that bookmark to open this page. In case that doesn't work. Then you can get back to this page using the email send by just answer to your email address regarding this question. There is view answer option in the email click on that and you can open this page. You can also use the welcome email from justanswer to open this page too there is a check my answer option in it to open this page. That email also has you justanswer user name and password ***** login.

Expert:  John replied 8 months ago.

Checking to see whether you manage to get another USB mouse or keyboard to check it?

Please let me know.