Jason Jones, Computer Expert
Experience:  Over 10 years of professional experience.
30759776

My computer won't boot 8.1 windows. And will no longer

Customer Question

My computer won't boot 8.1 windows. And will no longer go to automatic repair
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 4 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

May I ask for the brand and model name of your computer?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Lenovo g500 laptop. Had accidentally upgraded to windows 10 hated it and reverted back to windows 8 which said successful but didn't boot
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
At first it would go to auto repair and then give me an option to troubleshoot but it doesn't do that anymore

In that case, you may be able to restore the laptop back to factory defaults. Doing so, will erase everything on the computer and reinstall Windows 8 onto the computer. Keep in mind that when you do this, it will erase everything on the laptop.

- Turn the computer off and on.

- Start tapping the F2 key.

- When the menu comes up, choose One Key Recovery or Restore to Defaults.

- Run through the restore and all will be restored.

Once you are done with that, please report back with your status.

Thank you,

Jason

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have important files on the computer that I don't want to lose. Is there a way to do it that won't lose my files
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know about the one touch recovery. I would like to be able to get back to the troubleshoot page

I am sorry, there is no way to do that without erasing the files. You may wish to backup the files first. You can plug the hard drive into a usb adapter that can be plugged into a computer so you can first copy the files. Another option is that you can run a Bootable Live CD. Once it boots into the Live CD, you will be able to mount the hard drive and then copy files to a flash drive or external drive.

-

If you wish to use the live cd option, do the following:

- Click the following link: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
- Download the CD image from that website and save it
- Burn the ISO image to a cd with your current CD burning software.

- ---- If you do not have burning software, you can download free burning software from the following site: http://cdburnerxp.se/en/download

- When you burn the image, do not burn it as a simple data file. First you will open the CD burning application, choose to OPEN the ISO that you downloaded earlier, and then burn that Image.

Now you can boot from that burned CD and choose to "TEST IT OUT FIRST". Do not choose to Install it or it will erase files. After it boots up the test option, you will be able to copy files from the drive to the flash drive. If you have problems with doing this, I can remote in and help.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I don't have another computer to use but thank you for your time.

You are very welcome. You may have to wait until you get your hands on a working computer.