Randy Computer Tech
Randy Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Technician

I just bought a new phone and was putting in my password it.

Customer Question

I just bought a new phone and was putting in my password ***** unlocking it. It has 6 numbers. It's an Iphone 6s. I did not write down my password ***** I can't recall what it is. Is there any way you can find it for me? I feel really foolish. Afraid if I keep trying I'll be kicked out forever. Thanks Brenda
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately, due to the security of the iPhone that protects the iPhone data in case of theft the only way to bypass the lock screen is to restore the iPhone. Do you have a computer with iTunes software installed on it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Follow these steps if you've forgotten your passcode.

If you enter the wrong passcode in to an iOS device six times in a row, you'll be locked out and a message will say that your device is disabled.

Pick a way to erase your device

Unless you made a backup before you forgot your passcode, there isn't a way to save your device's data. You'll need to erase your device, which deletes all of your data and settings. Choose a way to erase:

• If you've synced with iTunes, use iTunes.
  • If you're signed in to iCloud and Find My iPhone is enabled, use iCloud.
  • If you don't use iCloud and you can't sync or connect with iTunes, use recovery mode.

Erase your device with iTunes

If you've synced your device with iTunes, you can restore your device.

1. Connect your device to the computer you synced with.
  2. Open iTunes. If asked for a passcode, try another computer you've synced with, or use recovery mode.
  3. Wait for iTunes to sync your device and make a backup. If it doesn't, learn what to do.
  4. Once the sync and backup have finished,click Restore [your device].
  5. When you reach the Set Up screen while restoring your iOS device, tap Restore from iTunes backup.
  6. Select your device in iTunes. Look at the date and size of each backup and pick the most relevant one.

Erase your device with iCloud

If you set up Find My iPhone on your iOS device or Mac, you can use iCloud to erase and restore it.

1. From another device, go to
  2. If prompted, sign in with your Apple ID.
  3. Click All Devices at the top of your browser window.
  4. Select the device you want to erase.
  5. Click Erase [device] to erase your device and its passcode.
  6. Now you can either restore from a backup or set up as new.

If your device isn't connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network, you can't erase it with Find My iPhone.

Erase your device with recovery mode

If you've never synced with iTunes or set up Find My iPhone in iCloud, you'll need to use recovery mode to restore your device. This will erase the device and its passcode.

1. Connect your iOS device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend.
  2. While your device is connected, force restart it: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. Don't let go when you see the Apple logo — keep holding until you see the recovery mode screen.
  3. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Restore.

iTunes will download software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.
  4. Wait for the process to finish. Then you can set up and use your device.

Let me know if this does not work and we can try another solution.

Please reply and let me know if you need any other assistance or if everything is good, take a moment to rate my service by choosing one of the stars at the top, then click submit.

Thank you very much!