Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.

I am on my office laptop, but my question is with my home

Customer Question

I am on my office laptop, but my question is with my home computer. My son set it up with his login information and somehow I screwed it up and now cannot get on the computer at all. It keeps showing my e-mail address and asking for a password. I don't recall ever signing up for my own access and now I can't get in at all. I would like to go back to his e-mail login and password ***** we can both use it. Help please.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Please try the following:

Solution #1:

- On a working computer (or tablet or smartphone), please do the following steps in order to reset the computer login password (which is also called Microsoft account) for the problematic computer:

1. Click on the website below:

2. Then there, select the option "I forgot my password", then click on Next at the bottom.

3. Then in the first box, type in the email address as shown on the problematic computer.

4. Then in the second box, type in the characters as shown on the page.

5. Then click on Next at the bottom. Then follow the instructions there in order to reset your Microsoft account password

, then try it on the problematic computer.

- Once you are able to log in the computer, then click on Start -> Settings -> Accounts -> ... other users, then there, you can add another user using his email address.

- And/or if you'd like to, we can reset the problematic computer fresh, like brand-new, so you can set it up again with a new password ***** want. Please let me know the model of the problematic computer, and if it has windows 8 or 10, etc.

Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.

Solution #2:

- If that does not work, please try the following fix on the problematic computer:

1. At the password ***** login screen, press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard.
  2. Click on the Power icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then click on the option Restart while still holding the Shift key.
  3. When a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.
  4. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  5. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  6. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything" and "Just remove files.", and continue.

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,