Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have both the maintenance contract and your security

Customer Question

I have both the maintenance contract and your security software. yesterday i went to use the internet - specifically Fox News. My computer locked up. i should mention that i have Vista. A message appeared on a micro soft back ground telling me to call to resolve the problem, which i did. A representative came on the phone and gave me a series of instructions to resolve the problem. he seemed to have a scripted message which concerned me. He eventually told me that my system had been hacked on many occasions and that my security system couldn't protect me. He told me that Vista was no longer being supported by Microsoft, that i had to upgrade and began to quote prices to me. At that point i told him that I was uncomfortable buying anything over the phone where i wasn't the initiator of the purchase. i questioned whether i could do what ever was necessary at Best Buy and if he knew how much it would cost through you folks. In the end i told him that i was coming into you folks to resolve my problem. He said goodby and hung up. Later in the evening i checked both my I Pad and my computer and found that everything worked fine. What should i do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

The series of instructions the scam artist on the phone had you go through, can you be a bit more descriptive? Did they have you install anything on your Vista computer? At any point, did they take control of the screen?