Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I am collecting data readings from a kiln on a daily basis.

Customer Question

I am collecting data readings from a kiln on a daily basis. I have 11 values in each of these daily records some of which are entered data and some of which are derived. I want to make a line graph of 8 pieces of data but can't figure out how to do it with the data organization that I have which seems to work fine for recording but not graphing. I'd also like the legend to identify each of the 8 lines.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 4 months ago.

Hi JustAnswer

Please give me your excel and I will try it and give your excel back to you with graphs

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I want to MC, MC delta, probe, probe delta, pin 1/8, 1/8 delta, pin 1/2, 1/2 delta, scan, and scan delta on a day-by-day basis for r1 to L2. That is there will actually be 64 lines on the chart (r1 mc, r1 mc delta, r1 probe, r1 probe delta, .... L2 scan, L2 scan delta. I would like to be able to select a subset of the lines for viewing if possible. If necessary, it could be 8 graphs (r1, r2, ..., L2) with 8 different lines each. Would still like to be able to select a subset in this case too.

Is this is what you are looking for ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no but I guess I should go with the similar version which would be 8 different graphs. So there would be day by day line chart for each measurement (MC, MC delta, pin 1/8, 1/8 delta, pin 1/2, 1/2 delta, scan, scan delta.) Then within each of these graphs there would be 8 measurements (r1, r2, ...L2) each data. The charts would then chart each of the 8 measurements as a separate line.

Not getting you exactly . Can you give me hand-written graph on paper ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I've attached a graph example of one of the 8 graphs. It shows only 3 of the 8 lines that would be on this graph but putting more without color would just be confusing I think. Here's the basis problem - I'm trying to graph values that are not in contiguous columns. I know that I could copy these columns to another area in the spreadsheet where they would be contiguous but this would be very tedious especially considering that this is a common need for what I'm doing. If there were a way to paste a range with a relative offset this would help. For example if I cut and pasted R8CH through R15CH to another location and then could paste into the adjacent columns the same source rows but columns with a relative offset of 14 and then repeat this 30 times, this would build a continuous table for the MC measurements. Or if the is simply a way to graph measurements that are separated by "n" columns or "m" rows this would be ideal
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
btw, there are many more missing data points than existing data points in this spreadsheet so don't be thrown off by that

Okay Got it. I will try to prepare it